Logo

Honda BF50 Throttle up Issue

rcs71*

I have a 2001 BF50 and it starts and idles great. If I throttle up the engine out of gear the RPM's climb up smooth. The problem I have is when I throttle up the engine in gear it dies. If I pull back the throttle and feather it up it will sometimes rev up, but most of the time it dies.
To correct the problem I replaced the gasoline (Used an external tank with fresh gas) and fuel filter. Same problem.
I changed the plugs and checked and have spark on each of them.
I then replaced the fuel pump. Same problem
I had the carbs removed and cleaned and new gaskets and I still have the same problem.
I am not sure what to do next. Has anyone else had this type of problem and if so what would you try next?
Thanks,
Ron

I'm afraid I have to agree with justintime. It sounds as if you have a carburetor problem and you did not get your money's worth. These are very simple carburetors but they are also very susceptible to deposits and require some specific knowledge and procedure to get them cleaned and re-assembled properly for reliable operation.

With that said, I am always amazed at how well many of these twins will start and idle with one cylinder completely dead. I would want to verify that both cylinders are indeed running at idle by pulling the spark plug wire on each cylinder while the engine is idling to completely eliminate that as a possibility. Good luck with it.

A 2001 50 HP Honda is a triple cylinder.----------------Put a timing light on each cylinder as you speed up to verify ignition on all 3 .-----------------Do a compression test.-------------These carburetors must be dismantled for a proper cleaning.

no on four strokes you do a leak-down

on 2 strokes you do compression

i can make a compression gauge lie, but not a leak-down test

Back