Logo

Crusader discontinued 8.1 and no replacement -Options?

rmm

Regular Contributor
I emailed Crusader and they have discontinued the 8.1L and have no plans for another big block. So if looking for new motors, what are the options to replace 454s? Just diesel?

They didn't have a choice...GM stopped making them almost a year ago.

I'm sure the 'preferred' option would be a high output small block. Diesels are viable but represent a huge price increase. Personally, I'd see if the factory refurbs are available.

If those don't work, I'm sure the aftermarket rebuilders will be making stuff long after I'm swimming with the marlins.

Not wanting to plug Mercruiser but they announced that they were doing an 8.2 "of their own." I expect it has a lot to do with previous 501 cube 454-based offerings. It was promoted to the dealers starting this Spring but it was not real this summer when I bought what was probably the last of the Crusader 8.1s. But if you need the displacement/torque it is worth checking to see if it is available.

Also, when cruising around GMs web, I see that they are anouncing a new smaller displacement V8 with some impressive torque and HP ratings. It will be interesting to see if (probably when?) Crusader will have a version of this. Between its output and less weight, it may be a good option for us big block folks.

Good luck,
Bruce Clarkson

The 6.0 is 375 hp. Although it doesn't have the lung capacity of the 8.1, it certainly doesn't lack torque and is quite a bit lighter then it's big brother. Personally, I am expecting Ilmor Performance to come out with something to fill the void left by the absence of the 8.1. This is not based on any inside information, it just makes sense. They have always been high performance only but recently took the Mastercraft contract from PCM and I assume will be building on that. Many of the folks from PCM/Crusader have gone to work for Ilmor (A Roger Penske owned company) and have taken much of the business with them. Maybe nothing will happen right away since there is NO real market for BB gas engines in new boats right now. That won't change until people start buying them again.

Back