Logo

Jumping solenoid to start

dbrahms

Contributing Member
On my Chrysler 360, which lugs/contacts on the solenoid do I "jump" to start the engine without the key? I want to bump the motor over a bit to repaint the timing indicator arrow.

You will want to energize the S terminal so that the solenoid is activated.
The solenoid then kicks the gear out, and closes the main contacts for the armature.

Why not just use the key, and not risk arcing at the starter motor?

Or...........
00902175000-1

cant use the key because i have no downstation, only a flybridge. Would require me bouncing the starter upstairs, running the the ladder to check, going back up to do it again etc.

saw one mechanic use a screwdriver to connect the contacts to start it once before but didnt see which points he jumped.

saw one mechanic use a screwdriver to connect the contacts to start it once before but didnt see which points he jumped.
You did not see a good mechanic do this...., you saw a not so good one do this! :mad:
This is why I mentioned: "Why not just use the key, and not risk arcing at the starter motor" ...... or buy yourself a remote trigger unit like shown?
You may even know someone who would loan you theirs!

No offense, but if you are not aware of which terminals to jump, you may want to ask for assistance.

I don't know your exact system, but this will/should be similar.
Note the "S" terminal. Often this wire is yellow!
You simple need to momentarily energize this terminal.

images

It's the lug closest to the hot wire that comes from the battery. I've done this a bunch of times, using an adjustable wrench--it's that close. One caution: Pull the coil wire FIRST on the motor will start, even with the key off. (Don't ask!)

Jeff

Jeff, I've given Santa your address, and have made a suggestion to him!
Keep an eye out for a package over the next few days! LOL :D
Just pok'n fun at ya, Jeff! :)

00902175000-1

Back