Logo

90 hp Evinrude Won't Turn Over

otis

I cranked the motor two times and it almost started as usual. The third time it would not turn over. Its like there is no battery power to the motor nor does the tilt and trim have any power. After some time, maybe 30 seconds or so, the power to the tilt and trim was restored. I then tried the ignition again, nothing, and the tilt and trim was powerless again. Then, after some time, the tilt and trim started working again.

I bumped the ignition again and noticed a click when I bumped the ignition, and again, the tilt and trim was powerless for some time. The click is originating from the port side of the motor, in the middle (from front to back), and about 1/3 the way up from the bottom of the powerhead. All other electrical items I tried still worked, so the battery still had a good charge.

Obviously (I think) it is something electrical. It seems like a relay has been triggered causing everything to shut down.

What would cause this? How do I fix it?

Possibly important facts:

I just finished putting new carpet in the boat. During this job, I had to uninstall and reinstall the Hot Foot. It might not be EXACTLY where it was, but it is very close.

I just installed a new depth finder but used the existing wiring to the battery. It would be difficult to believe I messed up any wiring.

I have only had the boat 6 months and the kill switch has never worked. I can pull the lanyard and the motor will still run.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Assuming the battery is good and fully charged..... If you're not absolutely sure, check and charge it.

Turning the key to the START position.... click and nothing happens = jump the two large terminals of the solenoid. If the engine electric starter springs to life and cranks the engine properly, in all likelyhood the solenoid is faulty. However do the following procedure to eliminate other possible problem areas.

The click you speak of is the starter solenoid. If a voltage drop exists, the solenoid will not fully engage. Procedure to eliminate a voltage drop: Remove and clean thoroughly all cable/wire connection terminals and whatever component they attach to. This includes the battery terminals themselves, the solenoid terminals, and the negative ground cable at the powerhead.

If the above results in no improvement, when the click takes place and nothing happens, turn the armature of the electric starter slightly, then try again. If this cures the problem, in all probability the electric starter armature has a dead spot in it. Let us know what you find.

@joereeves. Would the solenoid problem or the dirty terminals cause the tilt and trim not to work momentarily and then "come back to life" with in a minute? The tilt and trim works perfectly for as long as wanted until the ignition key is turned over, then the tilt and trim temporarily goes dead again.

The "comes back to life" sounds like classic bad battery, or dirty connection. I would start with the terminals at the battery. If they are clean and in good condition I would have the battery tested next.

If not the battery terminals I would be looking at the condition of the wire from the battery to the motor. A slight pin holr in the wire cover will let water in and the wire will corrode (especially in salt water).

its the batt terminals. dont just tighten the wing nuts by hand. uas some pliers to get them good and tight. most all manuals recommend replacing the wing nuts with regular nuts so they can be tightened well. i have seen this many times and it will drive u crazy.

Back