Logo

Look at this corrosion 2002 BF 225hp - How do you fix this?

Other Line

Contributing Member
In addition to my corrosion issue up on my block,I've found this under the cowling on the lower unit.

2002 BF 225 603 hours

What am I looking at to fix this?

Attachments

• Honda Corrosion 2 00004.jpg
    Honda Corrosion 2 00004.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 482
  • Honda Corrosion 2 00000.jpg
    Honda Corrosion 2 00000.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 261
  • Honda Corrosion 2 00005.jpg
    Honda Corrosion 2 00005.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 368
Re: Look at this corrosion 2002BF225- How do you fix this?

Not sure how you would fix this, but perhaps a good dealer / factory rep will help with this.------------Looks like HONDA has corrosion / material problems here.-------------------Perhaps you need to invest in a hoist to keep boat out of the water if it is " salt water kept "

We have the same problem. We keep our boat on a lift so it is not sitting in salt water. We understand Honda has changed their design to include drainage holes to prevent this from happening. Does anyone know if Honda is stepping up to the plate to cover this known issue?

Honda Motors 008.jpgHonda Motors 005.jpgHonda Motors 007.jpgHonda Motors 006.jpg
pencil.png

That is nasty! I have nothing but questions. Are these aluminum hulls by any chance? These pictures look more like cavitation burn (supersonic bubbles) than electrolysis.

My hull is fiberglass-1988 25 SeaVee.

Sarah-did you ever get it fixed or get anywhere with Honda?

It looks like the saltwater collected in that spot when you trimmed it up after use. It definitely ate it up from the inside out.

Our Rockfish season is getting ready to explode and I'm dead in the water-any ideas on how to fix this?

We ended ordering replacement cases and having them installed; they are quite expensive. I will be contacting Honda to see if we can be reimbursed since this is obviously a known issue. I believe the cases are aluminum but I will double-check. Has anyone had experience with someone at Honda who might be able to help us?

Please keep me posted-I am also going to contact Honda but with mine being an '02 I'm not optimistic.

About how expensive is "too expensive" if you don't mind me asking? Feel free to PM me

Ah the joy's of owning a 4 Stroke outboard engine...... The only fix is to get rid of the 4 stroke and go back to the ever so reliable 2 stroke.

Companies that have built motors in / for the North American market have done their research / experimenting to reduce the incidents like that in the above motors.------The right materials and design do matter.

Hey guys,

Do you think I could find this part from a parted out or submerged motor? I'm trying to find a schematic of the engine to see what this is so I can start looking around the net.

Any one know what this part is and where to find one? Looks like a mid-section

I think that may be the extension for a 30 inch shaft-I,ve got a 25 inch.But it might be.

It looks like anyone that has done the SB 56 has taken this part off-I looked at Rockin Robins thread of doing SB 56 himself.

Not sure if this is what you're after but here is the link for the shorter version. Sorry, I'm operating a few rungs above my pay grade here so can't be of much help. Just an interested observer.

I will say however that I might consider taking it to a reputable weld or fabrication shop and see if they think it could be patched. If it's a weldable alloy, it could then just be painted. It might end up being quite a bit cheaper than a new piece with shipping, taxes and all.

http://www.boats.net/parts/search/H...001 TO BAGJ-1099999/EXTENSION CASE/parts.html

I confirmed they are aluminum cases. We bought the new cases at boats.net; they run approximately $600/each plus parts and installation. The new cases have drainage holes.

Hi I have the same problem! It is cause by heat generated by the vertical shaft bushing that sits in this area and when the engine is throttled up this gets really hot! And once you slow down, the water comes up and wets it causing it to quick cool. ( This is my humble opinion ) So can the outboard run without this vertical shaft bushing? Only xl and xxl Hondas have these, from what I know other brands like Yamaha dont have the shaft bushing thats why we don't see this in their engines. If you look thru the parts diagram on boats.net of the 3 different length of the honda bf200 and 225, the short shaft model doesn't have this bushing. So if anyone tries installing a new extension case without using the bushing please keep us posted, I'm not looking forward to replacing the extension cases again in the near future.

Not sure I would try running the long shaft models without the intermediate bushing. Seems like that would cause excessive wear on the bottom shaft splines. However, Honda's placement of that bushing and it's construction is a definite design flaw. I would hope Honda would extend the warranty on that part like they have for the HO2 sensors.

This too is just an educated guess about that bushing but I believe they use it on the long shaft because of flex. The fact that it gets hot tells me that it is indeed needed because the shaft is probably flexing at that point when loaded and stressing that friction surface. If it weren't there, the result could be the shaft "chicken bone" fracturing and sudden failure under load. We actually see that quite a bit with our lesser quality Tohatsu fleet motors with long shafts.

They probably should have placed a sealed roller bearing there instead of a bushing or perhaps run a larger diameter shaft if that's the case.

i too have had this same problem, i have a 2002 bf 225 with 610 hrs. I got lucky and found the midsection on ebay from an 06 for $50 so i guess i can't complain that bad . i replaced the vertical bushing in the new midsection and it makes a little bit of a whirring noise , do you think it just needs to reseat itself or is there any way to adjust it. Has anyone had any luck with Honda on the corrosion issue? not really worried about it this time but for future reference. apparently the new midsections have some draining holes , does anyone have a pic? do you think i should try drilling some into mine.the picture is my old one next to the new one .
new midsection 002.jpg

That is a good point made earlier that the shaft may chicken bone under heavy loads if the bushing were not to be installed. Thanks for the good input. Now with regards to the drain hole I don't really see how that could help prevent the corrosion. If salt water were to enter and settle around the shaft bushing I would assume this would make it corrode even quicker.

Great comparison pictures! I think Honda should get this whole thread because it makes it pretty clear they have a BIG problem on their BIG motor. I too don't see how the drain holes would help all that much but, then, I'm just a lowly mechanic. Hopefully, greater minds than this one are working on it.

the heat issue i considered.. but the tube that is fed by the water pump has a hole facing the bushing to cool with spray so i'm guessing water collecting (salt water) after trimed up in a saltwater invironment... any one else in same situation:confused:

Interesting. The delivery of my extension cases arrived this morning, its the new kind with the drain holes. I was surprised to see it came with a stainless pipe, bushing and a new water pump housing which I did not order. A year ago a fellow boater of mine ordered the same extension case from the same web site as I did, and only received the case with nothing extra. This stainless pipe is for the water pump and does not have a hole to supply water to the bushing and will have to check if the water pump housing may be different also. I assume these components are modified for the new design thats why they came free with my order. Can anyone confirm this? or they just giving parts away cause its x mas?! :)

as far as how much for the job i'll take a guess. I did mine my self using the Honda shop manual as a guide so as they say "priceless". I would say it took me around 5-6 hours so I would guess they could do it in like 3-4 hours. Take 4 hours X $100 an hr plus parts i'd say $1200-$1400 total.

Back