Logo

Look at this corrosion 2002 BF 225hp - How do you fix this?

P1080104.jpgad me to the long list of honda customers suffering from poor design 2002 225hp :( It cause I feel is from the vertical bushing bearing going bad and coming out of the housing in case someone didn't already know this from all the other Honda owners having same issue

Jamie - Holy Crap! That's ugly. Inspected my intermediate shaft bearing last year and it looked like new after 1000 hours in saltwater. There must have been a design change somewhere along the line between your 2002's and my 2007. Something to do with a constant water flush over the bearing, I think. If you figure out what that modification was, let us all know so folks with these older motors can make the modification. On the bright side, after all this work you've done, you'll know just about all there is to know about those engines.

I read somewhere there was a possible design change BUT I will see I just order new extension case today and will inspect it/compare it to old one.. One good thing is only one failed like that other one made it... so I will have two to compare too bad case, port engine case that made it on twins, and the new one when it arrives..

I thought I got lucky on ebay saw one used for sale but after examing pics looked like same issue with fail bearing coming out of case not sure while he even selling it seems like junk with hole unless he thinks you can repair them with weld shop
http://www.ebay.com/itm/HONDA-MARIN..._Accessories_Gear&vxp=mtr&hash=item2c622d2370

I feel like a geico commercial !!!! By switching could of saved a bunch of money... :) boats.net shilps from Lake placid,fla I live in fla so gets here super fast on my orders..

Just saw this one on ebay too late going to stick with new one I ordered today seems like it will get here faster and I know what I am getting 100% with new one of boats.net. (could of saved me 300$ though :(.. )
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2002-2007-2..._Accessories_Gear&vxp=mtr&hash=item415fb3c26f

Found this thread as I have just had the same failure on my 2006 225 with 250hrs on it. Did anyone ever figure out if the part was ever changed to fix this issue? Trying to decide between a new part and used... I'm assuming Honda never stepped up to the plate on this.

if I rememeber correctly they added a few more wgole in midsection to allow water to come in and out on new section I ordered... I thought I posted pic on link ?

Back