Logo

1988 85hp force no power

mauiboy

Hey guys
I have a 1988 85hp force, My ? is that at idle the motor runs fine when I give it the gas I only enough power to push the 17' bayliner not enough to get on plane.
I then took it home and started to trouble shoot Hears what I did Comp 120 on all 3 cly. new fule pump carbs cleaned. I dont have a spark tester and I did it the old way with the engine runing at idle on muffs I pulled the top plug wire and the motor doged pulled the middle wire and the motor doged pulled the bottom wire and the motor ran the same. Is it the coil or somthing else

Re: 1988 85 force no power

Start by switching coils around and testing again.-------------Did you look at reed valves ( #3 ) when carburetor was off.

Yes I did all was fine with the reeds Ill try that and get back to you some time this week its verry cold in oregon

If the compression is good.How did the plugs look? Make sure that ALL the connections are good.
Try switching the top coil and the bottom and see if it follows the coil.
Not that, then switch the power packs around.
MAKE SURE THAT YOU MARK THE LEADS SO YOU KNOW WHERE TO RETURN THEM!!!!
Then check spark again.If it still stays on #3 then the stator is probably bad.
Get a manual and do the stator tests.
Take the flywheel off.Sometimes the leads wear in spots and ground themselfs out.J

Could be that the bottom cylinder is not getting fuel---------------------Not a good situation on a 2 stroke because of the oil mix.--------Could you describe how carburetors were cleaned. --Did you remove the high speed jets and visually confirm they were clean ??

The carbs were taken to a pal of mine I rechecked the # 3 plug and it was wet I just did not notice it at the time I wrote the last post so far I move the coil and it did not move with the coil so now I know it is not the coil at least

Ok hears whar I did so far switch rhe coils still #3 seems that it is not firing switch #1 lead from power pac to # 3 and started it pulled #1 plug wire motor ran with no change pulled #3 and no change pulled # 2 motor died

Back