Logo

DP-C1 Primary Drive Shaft Bearing Removal

Darrell McGee

I am in the process of replacing the PDS bearing on my 1995 Volvo Penta 5.7GI with a DP-C1 drive.

I have the drive removed as well as the PDS aft seal and 3 snap rings (2 large & 1 small) and am ready to pull the old PDS bearing but don't know how to remove it, is there a special tool required or procedure needed to remove it?

Hi Darrell,

The bearing is pressed on to the PDS . The only way to get at the bearing is to remove the PDS. Soak the bearing/case area with penetrating oil for starters. Then
you can try locking down a pair of square jawed Vice Grips onto the shaft and pulling. If that does'nt work you can buy an adaptor that takes the place of the adjusting screw in the back of the Vice Grips and connect this to a slide hammer for more pulling power. Don't worry about the splines on the PDS, they are much harder than your Vice Grips. If that does'nt work I have a tool that I made that should do the trick. I may be able to lend it to you if need be.

Good Luck
Jon Allen

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply Jon,

I tried using the vise grip and it kept popping off so I ended up tack welding a piece of 3/8-inch all-thread rod to the end of the PDS and made a slide hammer out of the all-thread rod and that did the trick.

How on earth did you get the small snap ring removed while the PDS was still in the Flywheel Cover? We don't normally remove this until the PDS is laying on the bench..... there's no need to! But there is certainly no harm in doing so.

Jon is correct.
The entire unit must come out AFT, and the Vice-Grip is as good as anything, unless you realize that the pilot nose is stuck in the crankshaft bushing and/or the Borg Warner drive coupler splines are rusty.

You have a 1995 Volvo Penta 5.7GI
What color is your Flywheel Cover?
Is there a grease fitting in the Flywheel Cover for the PDS?
Could you by chance have a 5.7GLPMDA, 5.7GIPMDA, 5.7GIPMDACE
In any event, you very likely have a single bearing PDS (no grease fitting), and it will be a sealed bearing, by the way!

Please note that if someone installed the Red flywheel cover, these are a double bearing PDS.
The engine will need to be removed for PDS removal.

Assuming single bearing........ your challenge is going to be in removing this PDS AFT, without gaining access to the front of it. Don't hesitate to give it a few blows forward also.
Once out..... it will all make sense to you.

Remember, that with this style single bearing PDS, this should be considered a Routinely Replaced wear item, since we have no ability to lube it in the future.
A failure here will cost your dearly!

This bearing can be purchased via a good bearing supplier... no need to buy the more expensive V/P p/n..... it's the same identical bearing if you buy a high quality electric motor grade bearing.
It may be a 6206 in the sealed version.
No Chinese bearings! :mad:

Good luck on it.
Be sure to grease the pilot nose and B/W splines when you re-assemble.

I have a Volvo 4 cyl Diesel AD31L-A coupled to 2007 Volvo Penta DP-E Duoprop outdrive. I am also looking to replace the ball bearing on the primary shaft coming from the flywheel housing. Can I do this with the engine/flywheel housing still intact in the boat? Is there some sort of shaft puller I can use from the stern? I am commercial fisherman losing money daily on this, speedy responses would be a GREAT help! thanks.

Nick, it's always best if you begin a new thread on this, but since we're already here:

Look up your engine and drive, and go to "flywheel housing".
You should be able to find a schematic showing your flywheel cover and PDS.
It will clearly show a single or double bearing.
I just looked, and it appears to be a single bearing.... but double check me on this.
If single, then it can be removed AFT.
If double, then the engine must be removed in order to access the front of the PDS.

You'll need a long needle nose pliers with the tips modified as to grab onto the eyelets of the deeply set snap rings (2 of these).
If I found the correct schematic, it shows a bushing between the FWD snap ring and the seal... in which case there is only one snap ring to remove.

I radius the tips, and tweak them in a bit so they will not slip off.
There are no factory snap ring pliers that work as well as this.

As for a shaft puller, I don't believe that there is anything specific for this.
I usually place a piece of brass shim stock onto the PDS to give my tool a better grip, and to protect the splines.
However, a small scratch in the splines can easily be filed smooth while the shaft is on the bench.

BTW, this will be an industry standard bearing. Use the industry std p/n and purchase this from a bearing supplier.
Much cheaper than going through Volvo Penta, and it will be the exact same bearing.
NO Chinese bearings.... use a good ole US, Japanese or German bearing.

Last edited:
Thanks Ricardo,
as far as starting a new thread, Im very new to this site, but I beleive I did that as well. I pulled out the 1 plastic bushing , 1 snap ring on the shaft, and the 1 larger snap ring around the bearing. I looked up the engine specs and it looks like it is a single bearing. We are having some trouble pulling the shaft out AFT. Is there any advice to have it pulled? I tried putting vice grips straight on the shaft, and then a slide hammer attatched to the vice grips, but it seems as though the vice grips do not have enough holding power on the shaft. It keeps slipping off.

Nick, I did reply to your PM.
Since this thread is a year and a half old, I'll post my response to you.

Nick, even with the single bearing PDS, they can sometimes be a bitch to remove.

With the snap ring removed, you may still have resistance at the Borg Warner splines, or even at the pilot nose bushing/bearing if there is rust present.
If rusted, pulling the engine becomes difficult as well.
However, if the resistance is at the bearing only, I've had success with applying heat to the bore of the flywheel cover. The heat expands the aluminum just enough to allow the PDS and bearing OD to move within the aluminum bore.
(I use a small map gas torch)

I've done three of these recently, and of the three, one required that I heat the aluminum a bit.
Once heated, it came right out. It was still a bitch, but it did come out.
This was a gasoline engine, but it should not be all that different.

After it was apart and the new bearing installed onto the PDS, I used my die grinder with a paddle wheel sanding wheel to clean up the housing bore a bit.
Grease the splines, pilot nose and the bore........, and they go back in just fine.

BTW, if the flywheel cover has a grease port for the PDS bearing, the new bearing must be an "Open" bearing.
If the flywheel cover does not have a grease port, then this will be a sealed bearing.
Same bearing.... one open or one sealed.

Hope this helps.

Rick E.

Thanks for the help. I ended up welding a slide hammer to the end of the shaft. Was a SOB, the primary shaft is such a damn hard steel. The shaft AND bearing came out. My next question, if someone would please help me out is, HOW do I get the bearing off, and the new one onto the shaft? Do I just hammer it on? Is there a certain way to press it on? And would be best idea to put shaft back into flywheel with new bearing on just to add lots of grease and hammer it in? Thanks again for all the help, helps out TREMENDOUSLY, this is such a nice site to refer to and recieve help

Thanks for the help. I ended up welding a slide hammer to the end of the shaft. Was a SOB, the primary shaft is such a damn hard steel. The shaft AND bearing came out. My next question, if someone would please help me out is, HOW do I get the bearing off, and the new one onto the shaft? Do I just hammer it on? Is there a certain way to press it on? And would be best idea to put shaft back into flywheel with new bearing on just to add lots of grease and hammer it in?
Nick, I'm glad that you were able to remove the PDS, however, I would not have suggested to do any welding on this PDS...... you may have changed the tempering of the steel. Not good!

I'm not following you re; the "shaft back into flywheel" .... perhaps elaborate on this.
The PDS installs in the flywheel cover bore. The pilot nose becomes centered via the crankshaft bushing. The PDS forward splines engage into the Borg Warner coupler. Both of these should be greased for rust protection.
Use only brass tools for driving this back home.
It will not require excessive force. If it does, STOP, and find out why.

As for removing the single bearing, there will be a small compression type C clip that holds the bearing onto the PDS.
Once the C clip is removed, the bearing can be gently tapped from the shaft, or you can use a press if you want to.
The single bearing on the DP-C1 PDS will be a 6206 with a suffix that designates that this is a sealed bearing. Purchase an electric motor grade bearing....... and without fried rice or BBQ pork ...... IOW, NO Chinese bearings. :mad:
Your local major bearing suppier will know exactly what bearing to sell you.

Polish the PDS bearing surface, and polish out the PDS bore within the flywheel cover.
I'll usually heat the bearing just a tad, and slide it onto the PDS... you can also chill the PDS if you want to.
Once is starts, it can be driven gently into position with a brass punch.
Grease the bore, the pilot nose, the B/W splines..... and install it.
Insert both large expansion snap rings, install the 35x62x7mm seal.... done!

NOTE: since this PDS bearing is not serviceable, it makes little difference as to how the 35x62x7mm seal faces.... unlike with the double bearing PDS that IS serviceable.... in which case the 35x62x7mm seal installs with the tension spring visible from AFT.

Back