Logo

1957 Johnson 35HP ignition key

dcbullington

Contributing Member
I just bought an old Bowman boat I'm planning on restoring. It came with a 1957 Johnson 35 HP Outboard (serial # 1624058). It is wired to a pushbutton that actuates a starter solenoid to turn the starter. There is no ignition switch so in order to kill the engine you have to either choke it down or disconnect the gas line. I'd like to install a regular ignition switch with a key. How is the best way to wire it up without damaging any of the electrical components?

Thanks in advance for any help, suggestions, etc.

Dave Bullington
St. Charles, MO

There should be a black wire leading down from each set of ignition points. These two wires when touching each other kill the ignition...... when not touching, the ignition is active. Each one of these wires would be connected to one of the two the "M" (magneto) terminals of the ignition switch. (Switch ON = Wires not touching - Switch OFF = Wires touching).

The battery voltage wire would be connected to the "B" (battery) terminal of the ignition switch.

A wire would be connected to the "S" (solenoid) terminal of the ignition switch with the other end of that wire connected to one of the small 3/8" nut terminals of the starter solenoid. The other 3/8" solenoid nut would have a wire running either directly to a ground or to a safety switch.

Yes, available on this site and at any Evinrude or Johnson dealership, ignition switch part number 508180.

If the engine has an electric choke, run a wire from the "C" (choke) terminal of the switch to the choke solenoid terminal. Pushing the key inwards activates the "C" (choke) terminal.

Dave, I used this same set up on two 18hp from this era. Joe is exactly right (of coarse), I'd throw in that you need to use heavy enough wire for this. I used the same gauge wire as the inline 20amp fuse. I beleive it was #12 or #14 gauge. I found out the hard way that the inline fuse is important, as well as heavier wire.

Thanks again guys! I am interested in converting to the electric choke as well. Is that straightforward? Are the parts available?

Dave

Back