Logo

Honda BF 20hp 2003 carburetor spare part needed!

speedythe

Hi,

Few weeks ago I leave my motor on the mechanic for a service and he found this small part broken.... he tried to fix it but is not working well and I contacted different honda retailers but they told me I need to buy a complete carburetor in order to replace this small plastic spare part!
IMG_0105.jpgIMG_0104-2.jpg
pic 1: broken spare part
pic 2: carburetor spare part location

I would appreciate if someone can help me to find where can I get this part with out the entire carburetor.

thank you in advance

Re: Honda BF20 2003 carburetor spare part needed!

Hi,

Speedythe is correct. It is the accelerator pump plunger lever. In the picture it looks complete. What is broken? They usually break at the little ball socket where it connects to the plunger rod and it usually because someone trys to put them on wrong.

If that's the problem, no big deal. These accelerator pumps don't do much anyway. You could take the piston and spring out of the carburetor and most people wouldn't notice the difference in performance. On the other hand, the accelerator pump CIRCUIT in the carburetor has to be clean or the engine won't run well.

When you say it isn't working well, do you mean the part or the engine? If the engine is running ok, then I wouldn't worry about it.

Re: Honda BF20 2003 carburetor spare part needed!

Hi Jgmo,

Thank you for your answer.
In the image you can see the part fixed by the mechanic with an steel plate on the back in order to attach the 2 broken plastic part.
Unfortunately after this fix the engine works well for a time and then it stops with out any apparently cause, when I tried to start it again I can´t or start for few seconds and then stops again after pull the primer. The gas line where full and the line pump is hard but sounds like it run out of gas. The mechanic also cleaned the carburetor.
After that I moved manually this pump plunger level and the motor starts and run perfectly again!
This occurred 2 days in a row and I don´t want to keep using the motor with this problem.

Do you think can be another problem related to the pump circuit?

thank you again.

I work on these engines and carburetors all the time. I constantly find those plungers unmoveable because the accelerator pump piston is stuck in it's bore. But, most of the time, the engine came in running just fine with no complaints. Just an oil change.

I put in new piston and spring and the engine runs no differently. But, if the PASSAGEWAY is dirty, the engine won't run well at all. Did you take this engine to this mechanic for this problem in the first place?

It is my guess that your carburetor still needs cleaning but there are other possibilities. Check to make sure that the fuel line is securely latching at the engine. Sometimes the latch wears and allows the inlet valve to slightly close. Make sure your tank vent is fully open and clear and that there is no debris in the tank to foul the pickup screen. Gotta go, let me know what you find.

I did take this engine to the mechanic for a normal service, and I went to his workshop when he was warming up the oil for change it and the engine was working ok by him own words.
One day later when I went to pick up it and I found him dealing with this problem he found and also he told me the engine can´t keep working with out throttle it or choke it. He said the carburator should be cleaned and one day later I take out the engine working normally but in the second day using it the problem appears. Before tried moving the plunger level I changed the spark pluggs, checked the gas line, the tank vent etc but the only thing that makes it run ok again is moving the plunger up and down manually 2 or 3 times.

Maybe when the mechanic assembled back the carburetor something related to the plunger kept in a bad position?

This sounds like the accelerator pump passage is partially plugged. These engines will not run right if that passage is dirty. The passage is fed from the bottom of the float chamber bowl and if that passage builds up pressure internally from restriction, it will pressurize the float chamber and not allow gas to enter. By pushing the plunger, you are relieving the pressure in the float chamber and gas can once again flow into the bowl until the pressure builds again. This carburetor needs to be taken apart and cleaned PROPERLY. The only way to repair the accelerator pump check ball, if it is worn or damaged, is to replace the entire float chamber. But, that WILL NOT solve your problem. That pump circuit must be free and clear of debris for this carb to "breathe". Print this out and show it to your mechanic. Have him contact me if he has any questions or comments.

Before you pay to change out the Chamber kit, check your serial number on the Honda Recall page to see if your motor is in that range. http://marine.honda.com/owners/recalls If your mechanic is a Honda dealer, he can check to see if it has been done. If it is in the range and it has not been changed, it will be changed out at no cost to you. I does not matter if your motor is out of warranty or not. It is a safety issue.

If he is not a dealer, you can call any dealer and they can check for you...or post your frame serial number and I will look it up for you.

Mike

Yes! Thanks Mike, you are right, I was NOT talking about that chamber at all. I was talking about the float chamber on the carburetor. I also DID NOT mean that the float chamber necessarily needed to be replaced either. As a matter of fact, I'm guessing that it DOES NOT need replacing to fix this problem. Everyone has called them FLOAT BOWLS from time immemorial but Honda chose to call them chambers.

Are you getting this speedythe?

If you are, listen to Mike about that FUEL CHAMBER (rubber canister attached to the oil dipstick tube). Get it replaced if it hasn't been recalled already because it can fail and leak. Also, I should have directed you to take that chamber completely off the engine and drain any liquid out of it before proceeding any further. That chamber can get water in it and cause problems. Sorry, it was an oversight on my part focusing just on the carburetor. Drain that chamber totally dry and then run the engine to see if your symptoms clear up.
jimmyd

Mike and Jimmy,

Thank you so much for helping me, the serial number is BAMJ 1017928 and as per the honda recall page I should change the fuel chamber
DEC 2007 BF20D • BFP20D BAMJ-1000001~1403159 Fuel Chamber Recall
I bought it in 2007 so I´m pretty sure never was changed.

I noted the difference between chambers and also I take care to drain the other one.
I´m thinking to buy the shop manual to work on it by myself since I like mechanics and I don´t have here too many options.

best regards
gonzalo

Last edited:
Speedythe...Gonzalo!

Yes, I would ENCOURAGE you to get the manual and get familiar with that carburetor yourself if you plan on keeping the outboard for a while. These engines are so well built, they will last a guy many years if he keeps the oil and filter changed. The carburetor is one of the weak points though because it is so sensitive to becoming internally clogged with scale and deposits from water that comes in with the fuel. If you are cautious about where you buy and how you store your fuel you can keep the problems and cleaning to a minimum. Draining the float bowl frequently and emptying that black fuel chamber we talked about occasionally helps greatly. However, all fuel will have some moisture in it and it is, after all, a water vehicle so getting some water in the carb is pretty much unavoidable. They are pretty easy to work on, as carburetors go, and once you get the hang of it, you can take it off, clean it real good and put it back on pretty quickly. And, you will save yourself a lot of money!

I recently had exactly the same problem with the same Honda in a 2005 model. Two certified Honda service centers said it was not logical for Honda not to provide a part that could be easily replaced. They said they could easily get other parts related to the carburetor and couldn't understand why they couldn't get that part. Both said it would be easy to replace that part. I contacted Honda directly and they said the part was an integral part of the carburetor assembly and they did not supply the part separately. They also said the part could be easily transferred to my motor from the same model Honda if I found one that was out of service. I expressed my massive feelings of frustration to them about their inability to supply the part, and that I could only solve the problem by spending over $300 to replace the carburetor. I also told Honda that If a corporation their size can't resolve a simple problem like this small plastic part someone is not trying, or they are trying to make money in the wrong way.

Hi walleye12,

Yes, I agree that this part, and others like it, should be serviced separately from the entire assembly. Particularly since it is a part that is easily broken during carburetor removal and installation on these engines. It simply boils down to a customer service "after the sale" thing. Where, ultimately, Honda has chosen to put it's profitability in these areas ahead of customer satisfaction and care.

While in days gone past, this would be a totally inexcusable corporate practice. A practice that would have eventually ended up costing a company much more in lost outboard sales due to negative word of mouth advertising than they ever could have saved in not providing the product support.

Sadly though, in today's manufacturing world, this "rude to your customer behavior" has become the standard instead of the exception.

I started my working life as a GM factory trained auto mechanic, defected to Ford and, ultimately became a pretty fair Class 8 truck (18 wheeler) tech before retiring and taking on a fleet of Honda outboards as a sort of "10th career".

When I started out in life, it was General Motor's policy to provide replacement parts for every car and truck in their product line for a mandatory 30 year period. The other manufacturers had similar strategies. If they had not supported their own products in such a way, at that time, I don't think they could have survived.

Today, however, it is not that unusual to find that some parts, including components key to the viable operation and ownership of the vehicle, are no longer available from the manufacturer in as little as 5 or 6 years after the vehicle is initially sold! I'm talking about sensors and on board modules and computers! If you can't find it in a salvage yard, you don't get your car fixed!

So, I guess my point is, Honda is no different from any of the others in that regard. Customer loyalty and loyalty to the customer take a distant second these days to the "enhanced" bottom line.

Greetings JGMO--Thanks for your comments. You expressed yourself extremely well. It helps to know that others share my feelings. Honda's Marine Divison Customer Relations Office was courteous and professional in trying to help me solve the problem. They even contacted the model engineer to see if the lever could be replaced by an independent part. The answer was no. They also tried to find a replacement part from another motor but only found the part available on larger HP. I sensed some frustration on their part too. They called me and also sent a couple of good letters. I honestly believe at their level they felt the irrationality of it all too. Thanks again.

Hi walleye12,
Well, I received the same answer from my honda dealer and also from honda Japan after I emailed them with this situation. Unfortunately, here only the carburator cost over $500usd plus the mechanic cost.
I´m pretty sure my next outboard motor is NOT going to be and honda motor!

best regards

I'm feeling bad for you and I'm still full of frustration and disappointment over Honda's lack of being able to solve a simple problem. And I do mean simple! Thanks for the report. My motor seems to run fine in warm weather, but not when it's cold. I keeping hoping Honda will remedy the situation, but obviously a false hope. Honda has lost my respect. I won't even buy a Honda Car! Thanks again.

Well, there are facts, speculation and then, there are just bald face lies. The cost of this carburetor being $500 is the latter and believing anything that the person that told you that says after this would be pure folly.

The link below is the truth. Item # 11, carburetor assembly is $175 usd and change. I don't know where in the world you are but I'm POSITIVE that shipping will not be $325.

Additionally, while my 4 year old grandson would not be able to take your old one off and put the new one on, I would say if he were 10 I'd hire him to do the job. Point being, virtually anyone could do it!

While I agree with you that there should be a simpler solution, it is what it is at this point and I believe the proverbial horse has been beaten to death at the top of this thread.

This particular outboard, in my opinion, is one of the best built EVER and, even with the customer support faults inherent in this industry, I consider myself LUCKY to have these in my fleet instead of the many others that break constantly....which I also have and am forced to deal with every day.

I urge my customers to buy Honda instead of most others everyday.

http://www.boats.net/parts/search/H... TO BAMJ-1099999/CARBURETOR (AUTO)/parts.html

Back