Logo

Gaskets for 1981 Model 270s

I know that I should actually try and SEARCH these forums for the A to this Q, but this is more fun!

I am looking for a good resource to identify and purchase gaskets for the water-muffler thingies on my 1981 350 cu. in. Crusadres Model 270's.

At the direction of a friend, he had me take of the caps on one of the muffler-water thingies and since it is a paper gasket I need to replace it. I wont do that again!!!

Also (Maybe this is for a different thread) there is alot of mud under the cap on the aft side. Any idea for clearing it or am I just asking for trouble. I dont wanna get water into my cylinders.

THANKS

Capt Ron

water-muffler thingies:confused:

It would certainly help if you could be more specific with respect to the actual part you are referring to. Not everyone has 1981 350CI model 270s and it is hard to help you out unless you can be a bit clearer on where the part is actually located . Photos and diagrams really help.

Internet search engines just hate looking for "thingies":D

Last edited:
I agree with Don. "Thingies" is not a good choice in "key words". :) LOL
What you are very likely referring to, are your exhaust manifolds.

And actually Ron, you should be doing this again and again. This is your means of routine inspection of your exhaust manifolds, to see if they have become restricted.
Restricted exhaust mans and risers can cause over-heating! A real no-no!

Do a Google "Image" search using key words "Crusader exhaust manifold(s)".

http://www.google.com/images?hl=en&...arch+Images&gbv=2&aq=f&aqi=&aql=f&oq=&gs_rfai=

Do a mouse-over, and read the text.
When you locate your style, invoke "Web" just to the left of "Image" and do a p/n search.
This will take you to web sites that offer manifolds and parts.

(or, if you click on the image, just X it out, so that the web page will open)

As for any rust/debris, this will be on the raw water side of the manifold.
Cleaning this out should not introduce any crap into the exhaust side (not unless you were to attempt pressurizing it out by forcing water in, and having it back up).

Many will completely remove the manifolds for this work.
It's part of periodic routine and preventative maintenance, and it's never a bad idea to do!

Last edited:
Thanks Guys!!! I can do my homework now. The THINGY is an Exhaust Manifold. The 1981 is more of a rounder looking manifold than the images I found over my lunch hour, but I got the whole winter to look!!! Thanks again. I will try and put a photo on here. There is a cover about 5" in dia on the forward and aft end of each manifold. They are both gasketed and are removed with a single hex head bolt with a round washer. The aft cap incorperates a drain plug. More to come and many happy internet searches I am sure!

Capt Ron

Back