Logo

1998 454 Determining MEFI version

djlenny

How do I determine what MEFI version I have..? Have tried Crusader, no response..

1998 454 XLi (MPI)...

I am wanting to purchase a workshop manual and need to know this piece of info..

Re: Determining MEFI version

If the engine is a 1998 then you probably have a MEFI version 3 (1998 software) as MEFI 3 was introduced in 1998.

MEFI 2 was introduced in 1996

Last edited:

Thanks, Crusader have responded stating if the plugs to the ECU are coming out of the top then it is MEFI 3, out the sides (horizontally) = MEFI 2, I will double check with them by sending the part# too..

I prefer to describe the differences as follows:

The -1 and -2 have their connector pins perpendicular to the mounting bolts' axis. the -3 and -4 have their connector pins parallel to the mounting bolts' axis.

Some prefer to use the heat sink fins as the point of reference, same end result.

-3's are nearly impossible to find if you need one; the normal replacement route is to use a -4 and revise the program.

Thanks MakoMark,

I guess a good question in response to that would be, having now determined i have MEFI-2, if there is any benefit of 'upgrading' this to MEFI-4, and have crusader revise the flash..?

I am hoping that once i get my copy of Rinda i can start to troubleshoot my issue more freely..

Thanks

Back