Logo

shaft zincs - don't just slap them on

bobct

Advanced Contributor
The guy next to me had his shaft zinc come loose during the season, slide down the shaft and tear up his cutless bearing. He had to get hauled for a day to fix it.

When I hauled my boat a couple of weeks ago, both shaft zincs were gone. One fell clean off and the other one spun around near the strut for a while (you could see the clean part) and then fell off too.

I never really gave them much thought but you have to hammer them on and THEN torque down the bolts. The type of zinc you get makes a difference as well, some have more fasteners.

I was thinking about using some 5200 on the back of the strut with "something" so that the zinc can't contact the back of the bearing. Maybe even a drop of 5200 top/bottom would do the trick.

Bob

People going thru shaft zincs mid season is pretty common. I've been running shaft brushes, and no shaft zincs for about 10 years now. My very first brush finally was worn enough to replace in the last year. So, it ends up more reliable, and less expensive to boot. The only negative I can see is that I sometimes get a light "scraping" noise from the brush, noticable at dead slow.

They look like one side of a set of distributor points....only bigger and the actual contact surface, mates to the curvature of the shaft

Hi Guys. I understand marine corrosion and kept the battle up every year on my 24 foot Bayliner cutty. Now I have a 42’ Gibson. Is this thread just for salt water or should I be looking for a system on my Mississippi River houseboat? THANKS Capt Ron

Thanks for the info guys! I now have the engine back out for the winter in search of the low oil pressure issue. Wish me luck.

Am I missing something? Those dont look like brushes, look like half a metal cylinder that contacts the shaft?

Yep, you are correct..;)

:eek:..but they call them brushes cause they just "brush" the shaft......think of "brushes" in an alternator...now just visualize them as much bigger......same same:D.

Back