Logo

2005 Mercury 15 Hp 4 stroke-Smoking And Running Really Bad ...

ronny123

I just purchased this motor and boat.It was stored for over 1 year and was never started during that time.
I tried starting it and it did for about 5 seconds.Then I soon found a lot of powder and stuff in the carberator and yellow particles in the fuel lines.I was told that this was from ethanol deteriorating the fuel lines.I had to replace all the lines ,fuel tank,filter and cleaned the carb about 4 more times.I had it running each time after I cleaned the carb.Then the last time I started it it started smoking really bad and didn't sound like it was running at full throttle.I have the lower unit in a large pale to supply water.The water would get a black like film on the surface and I would see black deposits that look like tar floating in the water.I was told that this could still be the carb ,because they are so hard to keep clean if anything gets in the jets.I cleaned the carb really good.I took out the jets and sprayed carb cleaner in all of the openings and sprayed forced air into them.I was then told that it could be the fuel pump.That it could be leaking pass the diaphram and into the crank.That make s sense because my oil level went way up.I since changed the oil and took out the fuel pump and inspected it.All the rubber parts looked good.I did'nt see any holes in them or tears.Can someone tell me if the fuel pump can still be bad even though the diaphrams look good.I don't know what to do next.

Last edited:
Back