Logo

diesel or oild leak - very curly problem

danielbeek

Hi,

After my MD5A has been running for a while, a small puddle of amber fluid appears in the bilge. I thought it was diesel, as it initially appeared to be leaking from the injector bore in the head - (if this is even possible - shouldn't the diesel burn the moment it's injected, not having the chance to be forced out?).
Hard to be sure what it is as my sense of smell is not good with this sort of stuff, and it's run-off is mixing up with other crud from the on enigne and in the bilge. Can't eliminate oil, as the oil is still very clean, so similar in colour. That said, feels thinnner than the oil.....
Anyway, yesterday, on a hunch I popped off the rocker/valve cover and found yesterday that the custom (thin) paper gasket had soaked through, and probably some/all the fluid aroud the injector might have come from the lower side of the rocker cover (block is on 45degree tilt, and cover is leaning over injector, only seperated by about 1cm - so injector is 'downhill' of leaky gasket).
Worried that maybe diesel was getting in to the oil via the injector pump therefore thinning the oil and overfilling the engine, I checked the oil level but found it just above minimum so that looks ok. Guess I'll start by fitting a new gasket, but I'm still concerned as to why the liquid appears so thin, suggesting it's diesel after all. Guess they could both be leaking.... Any thoughts?

Back