Logo

TAMD40B Heat Exchangers

Medskipper

Hi to you all,
I have just registered on these forums so please forgive me if I don't do things correctly!
I live in England and keep my boat in Spain on the Mainland just across the water from the balearic Islands. I have been boating around 25*years or so and had my boat transported from England to Spain because we get such awful weather in England and of course Spain has fantasic weather most of the time. I am sitting on my boat in Spain as I write and even at this time of year it is warm and sunny every day!
My question is this: my engines are over heating and I think I need to remove the Heat Exchangers and clean them. There is a plate held by four bolts on the header tank and I am pretty sure the exchanger is withdrawn from here, however I know that the heat exchanger is quite long as I have removed them from other engines and cleaned them, I have a bulkhead only six inches in front of the plate so withdrawing the plate seems impossible unless I take the engines out (not something I want to do!) is there any other way of removing the heat exchangers from this engine?
All information gratefully received
All the best
Barry

You can remove the entire assembly from the engine, then pull the core. It would probably be eaiser this way. Remove the bolts from the starboard side and any hose clamps.

Before you remove anything, check raw water impeller. Then remove raw water hose from the exhaust elbow and make sure when engine is idling that there is good water flow exiting through there......if there is plenty of water coming out, then raw water system is clean of debris. If there is little water coming out, first place that gets debris in the cooling system is front of the oil cooler, right behind the alternator. There is a big drain plug on the front side of the oil cooler, remove it and look/feel inside for any pieces of impeller or barnacles or whatever. Check your oil as well, 30% of the cooling of the block is done by oil....its gotta be reasonably clean and at proper level on the dipstick.

Before you remove anything, check raw water impeller. Then remove raw water hose from the exhaust elbow and make sure when engine is idling that there is good water flow exiting through there......if there is plenty of water coming out, then raw water system is clean of debris. If there is little water coming out, first place that gets debris in the cooling system is front of the oil cooler, right behind the alternator. There is a big drain plug on the front side of the oil cooler, remove it and look/feel inside for any pieces of impeller or barnacles or whatever. Check your oil as well, 30% of the cooling of the block is done by oil....its gotta be reasonably clean and at proper level on the dipstick.

The overheating only occurs when I am pushing up the revs, on tickover it looks as if plenty of water is going through. But thanks for your input I will try removing the drain plug on the oil cooler and check that area, oil and impellor are fine, this area does get a lot of barnacles so this could be the problem, many thanks.

You can remove the entire assembly from the engine, then pull the core. It would probably be eaiser this way. Remove the bolts from the starboard side and any hose clamps.

Thanks Glen, I was trying to avoid removing the whole assembly! but if needs be!

Thanks for your input.

Back