Logo

Evinrude 85hp year 1987: mod 85895c, problem can not accelerate.

Benji

Hi if anyone could help me with my problem.

The enginee can start after a few crank, and once is been start is easy to start. But the problem is, when in the water and the engine submerge, and put on gear and accelerate, it will start to then drop. Would this be anything relate to carburetor?

Thanks

That problem is usually due to fouled carburetors, clogged high speed jets. However, always start the trouble shooting procedure by checking the compression and spark.

Compression should be 100+ psi and even on all cylinders.

Spark, with the spark plugs removed, should jump a 7/16" gap with a strong blue lightning like flame... a real SNAP!

Let us know what you find.

Yes racerone, it is 1978.

I did test the sparking on the spark plug following the service manual procudre, I used the pencil method and on the board site, the spark jump like as it was as explain in the manual book, however on the starboard site, I can only feel the electricute on my hand and couldn't hold it anymore (I even use insulated plier).

I only went as far as taking the feul pump out were it has the filter written on it, and it got some stuff in it which looks like rust metal came thru the fuel line. I will try to look for a compression tester and test the compression.

Thanks

Back