Logo

2000 8hp honda outboard water pump

ltanner

I have a 2000 honda 8hp 4 cy outboard motor and can't figure how to disconnect the trans linkage from the lower end to get to the pump. A cotter pin holds the linkage on top but its such a tight area I'm afraid I would never get it back together again.

Re: honda outboard water pump

If it has the rectifier next to the shift linkage , it is best to take that bolt out.----------Then it is easier to remove the pin.----------------Next you need to remove the 4 bolts about mid way up the exhaust housing.-----------Then you drop the lower unit and the mid exhaust housing together.-------------Measure where the piece is at the top of the shift rod is and remove it.--------Now you can remove the bolts at the lower unit to get at the pump.----------It is actually quite easy to do.------Long nose needle plier are needed.

Hi,
Not familiar with your year model but if it is a BFAY 8, your gear case is similar to the '03 and above that I usually work on. The link below shows an illustration of the gear case with the LOWER HALF of the shift rod.

If this is your motor, then you simply shift the transmission into reverse and then locate the shift rod at the front of the extension case where the gear case bolts up. You then loosen the jam nut and unscrew the longer adjusting nut until the upper and lower halves of the shift rod separate. I believe there are FIVE (5) attachment bolts for the gear case and she should come free.

Note how many turns you had to use to get the shift rod adjustment nut off of the lower rod and reinstall with the same amount of turns and you should be good to go. If you lose track of the turns, the adjustment is to re-thread the long nut onto the lower shift rod approximately 3/16 inch and then tighten the jam nut and check for proper forward and reverse gear engagement. Good luck.

http://www.boats.net/parts/search/H...01 TO BZBC-1502182/GEAR CASE ASSY./parts.html

Hi again,

Sorry, don't mean to confuse you, but the stuff I wrote above may be wrong. I looked at the diagram in the link below and it seems that the 2000 model is more like the older units than the ones I'm used to. If that's the case, then you can disregard the jam nut/adjustment nut stuff I wrote above and, yes, you will have to remove the cotter pin at the top and slide the whole rod out with the gear case. There do seem to be the five attachment bolts though so I was right about something anyway. Good luck.

http://www.boats.net/parts/search/H...001 TO BZBC-1502182/EXTENSION CASE/parts.html

The upper part of the shift rod will not come thru the seal !! -------------therefor you have to spin it off the top of the shift rod or remove the mid extention housing to make it easier to measure and re-install.

Thank for the info. I was able to change the pump last night. I removed the pin and dropped the lower end without removing the trans shaft all the way by putting a support under the prop. Thanks again

Back