Logo

Need help with my 200 VMAX alarm going off

ShawnM

Went out on my boat today and the alarm sounded and boat shut down I check the reserve oil and the main tank of oil both were fine. water was coming out of the pee hole too when running. boat crank back up alarm went back off then shut down again loaded back up on tralior what can i look for to fix the problem

I had an alarm issue with my 200hp 2 stroke, but it didn't go off immediately. It was an over heat problem caused by the mechanic putting the wrong thermostats in at the last service. change the thermostats and all is now good. He also told me if the alarm goes off you can disconnect the sensors, there are 2 off them, 1 on each side to see which side is overheating. In your case as it goes off straight away, you may have a faulty sensor, so I would try disconnecting the sensors to see if that is your answer. You can also swap the sensors from 1 side to the other.

Is the alarm a constant beep? If so check the safety lanyard switch. That's the safety that shuts your boat down if you fall overboard. I had this problem. I replaced it and this solved the problem.
I had a mechanic tell me it was the fuel pump. I replaced it ($700) and that wasn't it. I then got frustrated and took it to a local shop. They changed all sorts of fuel related parts($650) and it was still broke. I then talked to a budy of mine and he duplicated the symptoms on his functioning boat by pulling the safety lanyard and it did the same thing. I went home changed the safety switch ($35) and all was good. I hope this is all it is. Good luck.

Well, you can always try a test of bypassing the wiring. If this works then your in luck. If not good luck. It worked in my case on a 2002 200 hp ox66 sws.

Back