Logo

What size hot water heater?

Edkop

Based on experience, will a 6 gallon water heater (with heat exchanger) provide enough hot water for an occasional on board shower? Or should I go with a 10 or 12 gal?
Thanks!

If they are 'quick' and taken with water conservation practices, you can get two out of a six gallon heater with no problem....if you are planning on using it like a teenager would, better find room for two 12 gallon sized units, run in series. this is based on over 15 years charter fishing and the use was to "clean up and go get dinner", not just a "quick rinse."

Just a word of warning: once you get used to having a shower with hot water, you'll never go back.

If you do "Navy Showers", which are water on get wet - water off and soap up - water on and rinse - water off, you would be surprised how little water you use and heater will have some recovery time before rinse. If you take "Hollywood Showers" which are turn the water on full blast till you start to wrinkle, then you will run out of both hot water AND fresh water.

Some of us are looking into "demand" heaters, like the europeans have. Anyone have some pros or cons? Pal

Some of us are looking into "demand" heaters, like the europeans have. Anyone have some pros or cons? Pal
I would replace the water heater with a heat on demand electric unit that goes under the sink and will also suppy hot! water to your shower..

Most sell for $185.00 and are a dearm.. I Don't Own any but a friend put three on his boat last summer and when I was aboard they were great..

This was what Bigem1 said in another thread.. if you're thinking about what size to buy, maybe this would solve it.. Pal​

When they tend to be 'quick' and considered along with water resource efficiency methods you may get two beyond the 6 gallon water heater with no problem. In case you are thinking of using it being a kid could greater discover bedroom for just 12 gallon measured models manage inside sequence.

went with a 6 gallon one for 40 years...navy showers only though...just turn the water off when scrubbing down....i would suggest installing a small light in the feed so you will know it is on...it is a checkpoint to remind you to turn it off when leaving the boat...

Back