Logo

how do you change the cutlass bearing?

That method would scare the heck out of me! I can see the housing mushrooming when the bearing doesn't want to move.

Jeff

PS: I have a Marinette, with aluminum struts, so this is more of an issue.

You should think about using a Maritex hard bearing ( these are used on many military and commercial aluminium boats) these are made as a clearance fit and bedded on epoxy, they are a hard composite and have shown wear rates of shaft and bearing far lower than any rubber bearing. To remove you simply heat the strut and the epoxy softens.

old thread but new concern, cutless bearing play

Can you guys give me your thoughts on this play? My boat is going in this morning and like an idiot, I just checked my running gear yesterday after being on the hard for six months. I was really surprised to see so much play which is why I didn't check them any sooner. I have a similar issue on my port side but slightly less. The wear isn't perfect but not grossly worn to one side. My immediate questioni is do you think I'm ok running as is for the season, say 60 hours? Both bearings have between 200-250 hours which seems really low to me. One shaft is new(er). No binding, both shafts turn easily (not a huge surprise I guess given the clearance.

I didn't have any vibration issues on my mind coming out last year which is why I did such a late cursory check.

Youtube link - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04w9NDiRuZs

Thanks
Bob

yes, I'd say the bearing a bit loose.....and I'm a bit late but couldn't play the video until today - long story there.....

I'd be incline to thing 60 hours won't cause any issue....would have been good to measure the play but.....

May also want to check out your mounts once you get out....they may be a contributing factor.....

Thanks Mark, I took about an 8 mile ride when I moved the boat the next morning. It felt ok, I think I'll deal with this as soon as I haul it in the fall. I proactively replaced all of the mounts a few years ago so they should be fine and easy to adjust.

Back