Logo

perko switch.

48tony

Regular Contributor
hi all .i just put in the perko battery switch it has the 1 2 and all options .i have it hooked up for #1 BATT to work just the motor.#2 BATT is to work all my extras.does the all position charge both batt at the same time.here is my qustion lets say i go to the pond at night.at the dock i have 2 fully charged batt. my switch is in the all postion. i start the motor put on my lights radio and away i go. i stop shut off motor.i plan sitting here for a good long time with my lights on radio on fish finder.so i switch to #2 batt on the perko switch .i start to see the lights are getting dim.at this point i no my batt is low. so i want to charge it up. put switch back to #1 batt .start motor now mind you all my lights are hooked up to #2 batt so no lights .the switch is the make before break.what do i do go to the all postion with motor running . and what happends if i go to #2 the batt is low at this time.i have been told over and over to make sure batt is full to run the old 60 hp johnson because it needs the full batt to make sure no damage to ignition.it seems at this point if i did go to #2 it would cause damage.i think you all see were i am goig with all this. any feedback

one more thing it seems i will need to put it in the all postion so i will still have lights. and at this point the low batt steals the power from the #1 BATT.IS THIS THE WAY IT WORKS

I do not understand how you have connected this type of switch to do what you say.

Can you post a diagram showing how you have connected it.

If not what have you connected to which terminals.
There are three , right?

What have you connected to terminal number 1
what have you connected to terminal number 2
what have you connected to Common terminal

I do not really believe one of these switches is right for what you want to do.

ok ihave 3 brass nuts on the back. 1 2 and common.neg to neg pos from 1 batt to switch pos batt2 to switch comon to motor starter silonoid. simple hook up. just not sure what postions do what. if i put the switch to #2 will it even let me start the motor.

Here is the correct way to wire a switch.
StandardBatterySwitchWiring.jpg
The motor will start with the switch in any postion (except off if you have it). The motor will charge both batteries in the both position however they will be slow charging if you have an older motor (low amp output). If one of the batteries is low on charge and you switch it to both, the low battery will drain the charged battery some until they are equal in charge.

ok ihave 3 brass nuts on the back. 1 2 and common.neg to neg pos from 1 batt to switch pos batt2 to switch comon to motor starter silonoid. simple hook up. just not sure what postions do what. if i put the switch to #2 will it even let me start the motor.

You have I thnk wired it as Joe suggested previously and ibnfishn says above

In position 1 the engine will start using battery 1. It will charge battery 1.
in position 2 the engine will start using battery 2. It will charge battery 2.

In the ALL position the engine will start using both batteries in parallel. It will charge both batteries simultaneously.

Only use the ALL position for starting in emergencies. Don't charge in the ALL position especially if one of the batteries is poor or if they are different types.

NEVER switch to OFF while the engine is running.

You dont say how your extra equipment is wired.

It can be connected to the COMMON terminal of the switch. It will then use of whichever battery is selected or both in parallel if ALL is selected.
When the switch is OFF all the equipment will be off.

It can be connected to either terminal 2 or directly to battery 2. It will then always use battery 2, except when the switch is set to ALL then it will use both in parallel.
If you connect to terminal 2 or battery 2 do so via an ON/OFF switch so that you can switch the power to all the extra equipment OFF.

However you connect the extra equipment do so via a fuse The fuse should be a lower rating than any of the wiring connected to it. Your batteries can push out several hundreds of amps. If there is a short and you do not have a fuse you will burn out the wiring and maybe the whole boat as well.
A circuit breaker would be better than a fuse and could replace the ON/OFF switch

Last edited:
thank you all for the info. i no i am making this more confusing than it has to be. just the instructions are very vage. it shows how too wire it and thats it. vicks you broke it down for me and i am good to go. i thought the switch worked a bit different from what it does. i thought if in the 1 postion only the motor would start and have no extras.and in 2 only the extras would work and not be able too start the motor. so as you can see iwas a bit lost. off the 2 battery i have a fuse panel in witch i run all the toys from so i think i will be in good shape from here. to all thanks

Back