Logo

Hurth Tranny Filter location 1996 330da

Floatation Device

Contributing Member
Where is the filter located on a Hurth ZF630 tranny? this is on a 1996 330DA with twin inboards. Manual shows a big handle mounted on a plate, pull the plate and underneath is the filter. I have no handle or plate.

Re: Hurth Tranny Filter location

Okay, I have found what I beleive is the filter location. It is under the starter. However, the plate has a large hex head weldment with a threaded hole in the center. Does anybody have any experience with how to remove the plate if this is where the filter is located?

this help?

Don't forget the o-rings

Another note from a factory manual:
NOTE: Later model Hurth transmissions have a allen head socket screw on oil filter cover.

Attachments

• hurth filter page.pdf
    41.7 KB · Views: 82
Perfect thank you. Have a new problem with the tranny. Took a cruise last night. The tranny making really loud clattering noises at idle. Kept in neutral for about 45 minutes while idling on the port engine. When pulling back to the dock, needed the other engine to maneuver, no noises. My guess is after the tranny warmed up, noise went away. Any experiences or clues to this. I am hoping I don't have to have this pulled and replaced or rebuilt.

It sounds like rapid beating with a hammer. It goes away after it warms up. Marine mechanics say it's okay. Thinking back, in the winter, only a few days in Florida, I always start the engines and let everything warm up for about 30 - 45 minutes. Mainly to get the cabin warm. This time I started the engines and went. Is this normal?

I wouldn't call it normal but don't have much to go on.....does it go away with increased RPM? Neutral only or in gear too?

Checked the fluid level and condition?

No, it gets louder with increased rpms. No noise in neutral. didn't check it all out, but noise only occurred in fwd. After idling for a way on one engine, then putting the loud tranny in reverse, the noise went away. I assumed it goes away after the temp warms up. Water is cold tight now. Other tranny doesn't doe this .

If the other one doesn't do it and hasn't, i think its pretty obvious the noise isn't normal. furthermore, i'd say you have narrowed it to the FWD subsystem.

Based on you description, I'd find a local Hurth competent shop at my earliest opportunity and start budgeting for an overhaul.

Back