Logo

Smoke coming from lower unit 2001 BF50

mikeczipri

I have a 2001 BF50, and there is smoke coming from the lower unit. There is a hole approx. 2" in diameter with a vertical shaft going into it (not sure what it is) and the smoke comes out of there....I also noticed that there is a wire (appears to be a ground wire) the has been corroded through.

Obviously I am going to fix/ replace the ground wire, but does anyone have experience with this? Or have any additional information that could help me out...i.e. what to look for, what to avoid, helpful tricks to make sure it doesnt happen again...etc...?

Thanks.

Re: Smoke coming from lower unit BF50

If there is no longer smoke coming from that area, it was probably your ground wire burning up. Generally, that is caused by something being connected incorrectly to the battery or somewhere under the dash or a really bad ground.

This happens especially with aluminum boats. Whatever the problem is backfeeds, looking for a ground going through that wire. I have seen it when a customer has two batteries and he hooks one up in reverse or puts one of the accessory ground wires on the positive side of the battery.

I have also see it occur when the engine ground wire is bad or not connected good and the battery is grounded somewhere to the boat itself (could be through accessories, lights, etc). With this situation, when you try to start the motor, the starter is trying to draw current on the ground side through that little wire to the boat then in some way to the battery ground. Needless to say, the wire can not handle the current, thus it burns up.

There could be some other reasons that occur if you are around salt water....I have not experience there.

Mike

Ok, I think I have narrowed it down to the impeller. There is still smoke coming out, and the wire is completely corroded. So it's not the wire...

I am in saltwater, and it seems that Honda engineers didn't think about that when tehy built this motor....

I didn't know about putting duct tape over the small plastic thing when flushing, and I have a Bob's Machine stabilizer plate on there. So I can't get to it.

I submerged the motor in a big rubbermaid tub to flush, submerged until water covered the cavitation plate. The smoke was minimal, if not non-existent. But, the "pisser" was barely pissing, if at all....and it was sporadic. It was like there wasn't enough water being pumped through the powerhead.

So, I think the smoke was from the rubber impeller thing burning up, because it was dry. I could be wrong, but it makes sense to me since I never covered that plastic vent thing when flushing.

This engine is really becoming a major pain in the butt....Honda thought it was OK to use stainless bolts in an alumium engine, so they seized up and I can't get half of them loose to do anything.

That little ground wire is inaccessible, one of the screws is in a spot where it seems like I have to disassemble the bracket to get it out. Little things like this have me not wanting to buy another Honda. The thing runs GREAT, but stupid little things like that are VERY frustrating. It's not as easy as just fixing something on this motor.

Yep...it sounds like you fried your impeller. I would recommend buying the entire impeller rebuild kit that includes housing.
06193-ZV5-010 http://marine.honda.com/pdf/accessories/ml.rerap45a.MAC_Water_Pump.pdf
Also, if the impeller is missing any pieces when you take it apart, backflush from the thermostat housing (after taking out the thermostat). You will need a new thermostat housing gasket also. http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Honda/Outboard%20Engine/2001/BF30A1%20LRSA%20MARINE%20ENGINE%2C%20JPN%2C%20VIN%23%20BAWS-3210001%20TO%20BAWS-3219999/CYLINDER%20BLOCK/parts.html

Sorry you are having issues with the Honda. The 50 is a real workhorse that has been around for years.

Mike

I really do appreciate your help and advice...I have run into another issue now...

I am replacing the power tilit/ trim motor, and bought an aftermarket motor. it has a 5mm hex-shaped drive and apparently I am missing something, because it does not match up with the part underneath it, which is more of a counter-sunk piece with a slot cut into it. The only thing I could think to do is take a 5mm allen key and grind it down on a bench grinder to match the slot underneath.

I know my description is lame, but the only way I can describe it is that the pump SHOULD have a male slot-shaft, but has a female hex-shaft instead.

I am going to buy the manual, replace the impeller as you suggested, somehow figure out how to get the tilt/trim motor figured out, and also figure out how to get the ground wire switched out. I get the feeling that Honda engineers either did not intend the motor to be used in salt water, or just did not use the proper materials. I live in Florida and the salt can be a nightmare, but I do not have similar problems with corrosion on the Yamahas on my other boats.

UPDATE-

Found the part I needed for the power tilt/ trim...it's called a "joint drive" and found it on boats.net for $15...also bought the impeller kit you recommended. Hopefully this is all I need to get this done. Again, I really appreciate your help HondaDude.

Back