Logo

rudders 1985 270

eggharborrick

Contributing Member
not a specific crusader question but i'll throw it out there. 85 silverton 34 foot, twin 270 crusaders. does anyone know if there is a standard of how big a rudder to how big a boat ? my rudders are original but appear small compared to other boats in the mid 30 foot range. it just seems to handle sloppy and i'm wondering if a bigger set of rudders would improve that. anyone have a thought ???

Re: rudders

Can the boat at least maintain a straight heading with only one engine, at all rpms?
"sloppy" meaning it wanders with no steering input?

Believe it or not, rudders have a big impact on how the boat runs. A larger rudder will increase drag, decrease speed and efficiency and increase transom lift. The boat may start to plow or require more RPMs to achieve and maintain a plane.

I spend a lot of time in Silverton's engineering department and trust me, a lot of effort goes into running gear and specifically rudders. New models are tested using a variety of different shapes and sizes and I'm sure the ones you have are the ones that worked the best.

I would check the rudder alignment, confirm that nothing is bent and go boating.

..."I would check the rudder alignment,"

Right! There should be a tiny amount of toe in--maybe an 1/8 ".

Jeff

Since were are on the topic, can slightly bent rudders be straightened ...maybe with a press of some kind? I have a silght outward bend in one starting about midway down.

I've seen some hulls that are happier with toe-out, not toe in; if still around, a call to the engr dept of the hull maker is preduent. Sometimes, you can find the designer/chief engineer/architect of your hull and contact them, independent of the business status of the MFG.

Al - usually they can be straightened though the "official" advise is typically "replace it". If the alloy will support it (most do) and there are no cracks/splits/etc, most shops will give it a whirl after you sign the hold harmless release.

I've straightened one mine a couple times using your standard hydraulic press (and a strut once).

Agree with Rick on current approach at the best builder's shops...doesn't always happen at the second tier. Still believe it would be beneficial to call them and get the description of what they recommend - if you don't have the full history on the hull, they could have been swapped somewhere along the line.

yes, just straighten it out.
take a good look at it afterwards.

So what are the rudder dimensions and prop size?
prop wash is what makes the small rudders work well.
Sailboats need big rudders, powerboats small rudders.

Back