Logo

fuel winterizing

eggharborrick

Contributing Member
twin 85 270 crusaders with edlebrocks in the central jersey winter. shut off the fuel and run the engines out of fuel or shut off the engines while fogging and leave the gas in the bowls. gas was treated with startron and stabil ??

Down here, we treat the tank and fog out the engines. Don't drain the fuel bowls. Last few service bulletins I've seen show the consensus of the inboard manufacturers recommend emptying the tank if possible; if not, then treat it like you plan too.

Here are a few tricks that seem to work also;

Treat fuel in fuel tank as you normally would, run engine(s) afterwards.

*Remove fuel filter cartridges, empty into a safe container. Re-fill cartridge with a heavy mixture of fuel/stabilizer, re-install, and fire engine for the last time, of which may include your fogging procedure.
(add oil for FI engines where we can't fog in the normal sense)

or....... if you do not want to do this to the cartridge........

*Shut fuel off, run engines for your fogging procedure, followed by adding heavy stablized fuel mixture directly to carburetor fuel bowl (see squirt bottle below).

Either way, we end up with a more stabil-rich mixture in the carburetor.

I use a squirt bottle, something very similar to these, but one chemically specific for gasoline use.
With your finger over the air hole, you can squeeze and direct your mixture into the carburetor vent.
(I find myself doing this again (December & February), simply to keep them from evaporating.)
thumb.php

These also work great come spring time when we fire up an engine who's carburetor may have undergone some evaporation.
Batteries and Starter Motors love you when you do this! :)
Great primer tool!

Be careful where/how you store one with fuel in it.

.................... or shut off the engines while fogging and leave the gas in the bowls.......
You mention a key point here that many do not consider.
I think that it is important that WE kill the ignition while we continue to fog!
Do this, and you remove combustion for the last few revolutions.
If need be, have a helper do this while you continue to fog!

Remember that a dual plane intake must be fogged equally, or you leave some cylinders not as protected.

Last edited:
..." think that it is important that WE kill the ignition while we continue to fog!"

Right on! It's nuts to spray fogging oil into a running motor--that just burns it off. I pull the coil wire and spray about 15 seconds worth--twice--as the First Mate cranks the motors over.

Jeff

not to be agumentative but it DOES say on the directions of the fogging oil can to spray the oil directly into the carb while the engine is running and keep spraying until engine stalls. Just a thought.

My central New Jersey experience in the last 7 yrs has been to add stabilizer to half a tank of fuel on the way back from a last striped bass run since we don't fill the tank for winter.

I know there are some monster issues with fuel and boats have suffered problems BUT, I would be hard pressed to believe any of it with my history. Every year both boats started right up and ran great and one sat for over 2 years in the yard. Last year was a really snowy winter and the cold nights with sun warmed days could have easily formed condensation in the fuel tank but as stated....never a problem. I do not really plan anything different this year.

not to be agumentative but it DOES say on the directions of the fogging oil can to spray the oil directly into the carb while the engine is running and keep spraying until engine stalls. Just a thought.
Yes, many will use this method.
Do you see anything else on the can?
Any mention of the dual plane intake manifold, and the importance of equal fogging?

I'm usually one who thinks somewhat out-of-the-box.
Why on earth do we want combustion taking place, while we are attempting to add a protective film of oil on the internal components?

I'll take it one step further, if I may. I never fog a hot/warm engine!

And this one is not for everyone..... but I fog my engines with the sea water pump impellers removed, so that I can perform this during my very last quick "dry start".
It takes no more than 8 to 10 seconds to properly fog a SBC V-8. Any more than that, and you are simply wasting it!

Last edited:
Drain or run dry the carbs? Why bother, for they'll be empty by Spring anyhow. Evaporation. In fact, a week is all it takes in hot weather after a run.

Jeff

Back