Logo

1972 318 fuel pump alternatives

eldstuff

I have a Chrysler 318 engine about 1972. The fuel pump diaphram is blown. It is a Carter with 0-1053 imprinted on one side. B-3 is on the attaching flange. On this fuel pump when the diaphram is ruptured excess gas goes into the bilge. Not good! I'm looking for a replacement which is still mechanical but if ruptured will return excess gas to tank. Any suggestions? Gus

Gus - NAPA sells a replacement mechanical pump for the 318. I'm not too familiar with the configuration of the old Carters but that excess/overflow line should really be routed to the carb (not back to the tank and, obviously, not into the bilge).

The NAPA pump works fine--I have one in mine--but you need to drill the housing and install a third line that goes to the carb. There's a dimple there in the housing that you can drill out--easy to do. The result is the SAME as a "marine pump" that costs several times more.

Let me know if you need any assistance.

Jeff

yes, I have also modified fuel pumps. As long as they have an inner seal where they wont dump fuel into the crankcase, you drill the slotted vent on the side and run a tap in there and thread in a small piece of copper or brass pipe. I lucked out by cannibalizing an old torch that had the perfect bronze tube. Ran a 5/16 die on the tube and a 5/16 tap in the pump. made a very nice fitting for to run the clear line up to the carb.

Look into the open end where the arm is, on mine, way down in there, you could see the seal for the diaphragm pump rod.

You want your new vent to sit on top of the diaphragm so if the diaphragm rips, fuel sort of is sucked-pumped up to the carb, makes the engine run rich and the clear line shows a pump failure. You don't want a vacuum on this line, it might affect the pump action. Diaphragm has to move freely to pump fuel.

Last edited:
Back