Logo

Oil Fuel Mixture for 1988 Johnson 15 HP

purryburry

I have inherited a Johnson Sea Horse 15 hp outboard motor which I think it is a 1988 model. The model number is AJ15BACCS with a serial number of A07603820. On the body of the cowling there is a suggested fuel/oil ration of 100:1. Can anyone tell me if that is correct or what ratio should I use?

It is indeed a 1988 model ( CC = 88) You should be running on a 50:1 fuel mix.
OMC switched to 100:1 fuel mixtures in 1985 for a few years. This was found to be a mistake and they soon switched back to 50:1. The 100:1 decals should have been removed long ago and the handbook amended also.

The initial "A" I think means it is Australian made

"BA" indicates a rope start model with an AC lighting coil fitted as standard

Last edited:
Thanks Vics much appreciated. I take it that the ac lighting coil has something to do with the small rubber grommet/flap on the side of the engine.

Thanks Vics much appreciated. I take it that the ac lighting coil has something to do with the small rubber grommet/flap on the side of the engine.

Yes but I cannot be sure if that model will have a three wire output or a two wire output.

If two wires then no problems it is just an AC output insulated from ground.

If it is a three wire output then the load has to be connected as in my diagram below to the yellow, yellow blue and yellow grey wires
Also there how to connect a rectifier for battery charging.
There is a plug in kit also if required for battery charging.

Great info thanks Vic. Can you get manuals online for these motors or do you have to purchase them? I have found a couple of sites but you have to pay to join.

Back