Logo

Newbe - Force 50

jtw37

Hi All!
I'm new here, as stated. Name is JT and I hail from Northern Indiana. I picked up a vintage boat and an 1986 Force 50 hp. Wanting to take it down this Winter, to change the pivot. Figure while I'm there that I would replace the impeller and just check it out. Anything I should be careful of or need to know, before I start this project?

I had to replace the points and do some repair to the carb, but got her back to purring like a kitten. Don't turn over a full revolution and she's running. Run into a fella that was an original Force Mechanic and picked his brain a bit. But he was pretty busy with getting boats in and stored, so didn't want to upset him with to many questions.

Also picked up a 1962 Cathedral (name on the side) and it's in pretty good shape. Not a lot to re-do on it. Pretty happy with it, this far.

Anyway, that's my story.

Attachments

• IMAG0117 [640x480].JPG
    IMAG0117 [640x480].JPG
    69.1 KB · Views: 49
  • IMAG0116 [640x480].JPG
    IMAG0116 [640x480].JPG
    71.6 KB · Views: 45
Ethanol.Is a big problem.Get a manual or ask questions on how to do things.Check and maybe change,fuel pump diaphram,gas hose and squeezie.Check for water in the tank.Put in a water/fuel seperator.
Oil is 50-1 1 pint to 6 gal.Makes sure the oil in the lower is clean.
There is a screw on the side of the lower unit DON"T TOUCH IT!!!!J

Hey Jerry,
Thanks for the reply. Checked most of what you mentioned. Funny thing is this motor seemed to have quite a few new items on it. Fuel filter was nice and clean, diaphragm looked new. Did get a manual on CD, but it appears it is a bit vague in a few area's that I'm going to be doing. Anyway, I'm a car guy, so mechanics are not new to me and worked with 2 cycle engines many times, but nothing on boat motors. So, I'm sort of in the dark and looking forward to knowing more. The lower end of it is where I'm concentrating, as I need to change the pivot, so I can add a tilt/trim to it and will also look about replacing the impeller, since I'm going to be in that area. I tend to like the vintage boats, probably cause I'm vintage. :) Many thanks.
JT

Back