Logo

Is Indamar 2000 5.7 block a standard 5.7 GM block?

steve.holt

The engine in my 2000 Mastercraft 305V blew out this summer. Parts of the block broke off inside and blew through the oil pan. We have pulled the engine and now need a replacement block. Can I buy a standard 5.7 block out of a used GM vehicle? Is the Indamar block any different?

Re: Is Indamar 5.7 block a standard 5.7 GM block?

The marine version engine blocks are the same as what's used in automotive. That's where they have originated. However, the build is different, or should be!

The parts from your 5.0L will not all work with a 5.7L.
The year model must be within the same range, or you will run into flywheel and other issues.
Late model automotive blocks will not be fully machined for the mechanical fuel pump.
Automotive pistons will be the full dished type.
All GM new marine engines will also use the full dished type piston.
Most rebuilders will also use this full dished piston!

If you custom build one, this is a great time to get away from this style piston, and go with a piston that offers a quench effect. The small added cost is not a deal breaker! The benefits are well worth it.

Thanks Rick. I heard that there might be a difference in the cam between a standard 5.7 block and a marine engine. Do you know if that is true?

Yes! Like said, the build is different, and this would include the cam profile.

I think many of the bolt-ons will interchange between the two (provided they are from the same vintage); agree that most of the internals won't.

Back