Logo

2000 90hp Tilt/Trim Issues

First day out in sub-zero temps and the*Honda was a pig to start as usual but that is another thread in itself.
Engine*was running fine all day long and when I went to put the boat on the trailer, I trimmed it up and that was it for the trim function that day.* Trimmed it just enough to be able to make it home without any issues and I removed the fuse/wire connection black cover to make sure that all my contacts were fine and they were but there was no movement/noise from the throttle cable trim, engine trim, or bow trim controls.*
Drove 1.5 hrs home and let the boat sit for another hour in the driveway before I made it back outside for more trouble shooting and I hit the throttle trim control and it began to work again.* Moved to the motor control and moved it up and down a few times and then it froze up again.* I knew it wasn't the battery as the motor worked fine and was running fine but the trim didn't function when I was on the water so I left it for another 15 minutes and it worked again.* The motor did seem to whine*a bit when it was in the trim function, especially before the tilt kicked in so*I thought it may be low on fluid.* Mind you the temps were also above freezing when all of this was going on.
I put the motor to the top position and removed the cap screw on top of the reservoir and I didn't get the screw off before oil started to seep out so I would assume that there is sufficient fluid present.* It seems to work now but the last thing I want to do is head back out to the water and find the same thing happening again.
I'm thinking that it is either related to the solenoid (funny that both would go at the same time as I thought there was one for upward movement and one for downward movement) or the motor is on its way out.* Boat has never seen any saltwater and there are no signs of any leaks present in the tilt/trim/reservoir.
Any thoughts????

If you are hearing no clicking or any sound from the relays when it fails, then you could have something (electrical) bad inside your trim relay module or more likely a bad connection somewhere.

In the back of you owner's manual is a wiring diagram, and you should be able to trace the wires to see where the connections are located.

There is no fuse in the circuit. It draws power directly off the solinoid on the starter. There is one connector between the solinoid and the trim module. Check all connections for to be sure they are clean and tight.

Also check the ground from the module to be sure it is tight and clean.

The other common item is the power lead going to the trim switches. Just work with the one on the engine, it will save you a lot of legwork and you will be closer to the relays to hear any clicking.

If you have a test light or voltmeter, you can see if you have power going to the switch and you will be able to see if the switch is working when you measure voltage coming out of the blue or green wires.

If you hear clicking, the quickest way to check voltage going to the trim pump is to pull the connector on end of the trim pump wire and connect your voltmeter to the two pins coming from the motor. Operate the trim switch. Pushing the switch one way, you should have 12v with the polarity in one direction. Pushing the switch the other way, you should get 12v, but the polarity will be reversed.

Mike

Thanks for the reply - would low fluid in the trim unit cause it to stop working altogether? I added roughly 35ml to the reservoir before fluid began to seep out. I also cycled the trim between each filling. It looks like there is some fluid passing beyond the seals......not sure how long his has been happening. Can the seals be rebuilt on these trim units?

Yes, the seals can be replaced. I had almost the same thing happen to my 50 hp, brought the tilt/trim unit to a hydraulic shop, they replaced it for about $50. I could have done it myself but didn't have the time.

Back