Logo

Racor filter changed and starboard will not start...

slauder

Regular Contributor
Racor filter changed and I don't think I did it correctly. Done a couple weeks ago and wont start now.

General fuel intake plumbing:
Single 260 gal tank with port and starboard lines (soft rubberized) to Racor .2 mill filters, same soft lines to Flowscans, same soft lines to pump, metal lines to 20 mill sierra separator, and again metal lines to quad-jets.

Observations:
1. Fresh 200 gals gas at marine gas dock (oct 93) three weeks ago.
2. The Racor was drained and I didn't fill her up when I put new filter in. Maybe part of the problem?
3. I opened Racor yesterday and she was still dry and the inside gasket looked larger then it was when I put it in.
4. I opened up the 20 mill seperator and it only was half full.
5. The Racors were painted with some brown rubber type paint years ago (part of a rebuild?) and some peels are occurring. It was painted outside and inside on the metal parts. thinking a peel could clog up the line.

In the limited time I had, these are the actions I performed:
a. Filled the Racor to top and closed.
b. Turned over the engine for 40-50 cranks. She would not start.
c. Opened the 20 mill separators (they are after the pump) and still only half full. Noticed a problem with the rubber gasket in the sierra separators. It popped out and now seems too large to pop back in. Can I get these rubber gaskets to shrink?

What to try now? My thoughts:
I. fill a new sierra separators up completely and replace other new one that has issues with larger gasket popping off.
II. fill carb bowl with a syringe and try again to verify engine starts okay.

Also, I have a vacuum tester but not sure how to use it to test pump if need to. When I had someone install the flowscans they used somekind of glue as well as the clamps. I have never taken off the soft hoses from the barbs they connected to.
Wondering about a possible clog. How to fix that if its the rubberized paint that peeled or something else clogged line. do I need to blow out lines with air?

Last edited:
Any paint on the inside of a fuel item will be a big problem. My buddy had similar issues with Racor gaskets swelling; Racor replaced them all, no charge.

Well, I'd not place any more load on your starter motor and cranking battery than need be. Not good for either of them.
I'd prime your fuel delivery system, and get her fired up that way.
Once running, the system should take care of itself.... if you don't have any blockage issues.

Suggestion:
In the future, when you change your fuel filter, do so ONLY after having just started and warmed up the engine.
This way you know that you have enough fuel flow to cause the filter, lines and fuel pump, to all prime themselves (or purge themselves of air).
No surprises this way!

BTW, I'm a big proponent of the Racor products. Good stuff! :)

II. fill carb bowl with a syringe and try again to verify engine starts okay.
yes, it takes about a quarter to a third of a cup on a q-jet.

you mention the rubber gaskets.
perhaps your pump is sucking air because the gaskets are not sealing.
the gaskets might shrink if you let them dry out.
make or get new ones. viton does not swell in gasoline.

dont wear out the starters by mindless cranking, prime the carb.
I setup a separate electric priming pump with it's own filter as a backup. So the carb can take fuel from mechanical and or electric simultaneously.

Last edited:
I'd ask you to recheck those screen sizes...most are micron rated, not in mils. (just a factor of ~25 difference.)

Ditto on getting the fuel into the carb bowl.

On the Sierra parts - if you are talking about the spin on "oil filter" type, I think those gaskets are crimped on (like the oil filters' are) and labeled NSS. If so, time for new spin on cans.

Back