Logo

does anyone know whats involved to take out a 5.0 liter 2001 motor?

put shift control in foward, remove outdrive, diconnect fuel, battery, main wire harness connector, shift cables, two bolts at transom assembly, motor mounts, exhaust boots, any other wires connected to motor. lift and seperate..............oh that is for boobs.......not for motors...........lol

Generally, no, you need not remove the drive to take the engine out. You need only disconnect the control cables, wiring, plumbing and exhaust boots and the engine mounts.
The engine must first slide forward in order to clear the input shaft on the drive and then can come up and out. Usually this is done by lifting only enough to take the weight of the engine off the boat...don't need o lift more than just a fraction of an inch. Then you can either roll the boat and trailer backward if your lift is fixed, or if you are using something like a tractor with a loader bucket, roll the bucket forward. Once off the rear mounts and free of the shaft the engine can come out. Usually there is at least one thing you forget to undo!

Generally, no, you need not remove the drive to take the engine out. You need only disconnect the control cables, wiring, plumbing and exhaust boots and the engine mounts.
The engine must first slide forward in order to clear the input shaft on the drive and then can come up and out. Usually this is done by lifting only enough to take the weight of the engine off the boat...don't need o lift more than just a fraction of an inch. Then you can either roll the boat and trailer backward if your lift is fixed, or if you are using something like a tractor with a loader bucket, roll the bucket forward. Once off the rear mounts and free of the shaft the engine can come out. Usually there is at least one thing you forget to undo!

It is NOT reccomended to leave the outdrive attached!!!!!!!!!!!!

To many potential issues trying to remove the engine that way. Many boats do not have the space anyway.

Done hundreds, believe me!!

Wonder how your gonna do a alignment with the drive attached ? 2001 long over do, i know it ain't a stringer, thats the only drive needs no alignment.

First.... I think that we're removing an Engine here......., not a Motor! (errrrhg :mad:, one of my pet peeves! :D )

Secondly...., the engine can be separated at the flywheel cover.... leaving the flywheel cover installed. However..... either works......, your call!

Thirdly...., IF THERE IS SPACE/ROOM for the engine to move foward, the out drive can certainly remain installed while the engine is being removed, and with no harm/no foul!

When re-installing the engine, I agree..... the out drive must be removed for engine/drive coupler "re-alignment".

Your way, my way.

Ayuh,.... That would be the Right way, 'n the Wrong way...

The drive Has to be Off to reinstall the motor anyways....

Btw,... Rick, I've been callin' engines, Motors all my life...
Right wrong or otherwise....
'n Yes, I do know the difference....;)

1. Ayuh,.... That would be the Right way, 'n the Wrong way... The drive Has to be Off to reinstall the motor anyways....
  2. Btw,... Rick, I've been callin' engines, Motors all my life... Right wrong or otherwise.... 'n Yes, I do know the difference....;)
  1. I know, Bondo.... and I certainly hear what you are saying...., but the question was "does the drive need to come off?" I suggested NO, if he has space to slide the engine forward! Perhaps he wants to remove the engine in a timely manner..... and will remove the drive later on! His call! If he does not do the alignment, he'll be asking for trouble!
  2. Ahhhh, it's just a pet peeve of mine! :mad: You too know that technically, motors are; Electric, Hydraulic, Pneumatic, and/or Steam driven. They operate on power derived from a remote location! An Engine converts fuel directly into energy right at the device! You can call me anal if you want to! I won't be upset! :D

Last edited:
Back