Logo

Ignition switch issue 1992 40hp

olenavygoat

This will probably be easy for you long-time enthusiests. I purchased a replacement ignition switch for my 1992 40 hp Johnson (ELEN model) which of coarse was totally different since the original is obsolete.

My issue is that my engine cranks in the accessory position (2) vice when it should in position 3. I'm not certain whether to move one of the yellow/red wire or the black wire (and not sure which one of the black) since they're the only ones leading from the solenoid/starter. I appreciate any feedback.

Thanks

Re: Ignition switch issue

The original switch is not obsolete. They have used the "push to choke" type switch for many years. The BRP switch has a wiring diagram on the back of the package just in case it's needed. Let me know if you need the BRP part number.

Re: Ignition switch issue

I ordered the original switch (0584600, a 6 connector) and was sent a choke style switch but was a different connector configuration (4 connectors and one spot for a screw type connection). It came in a Evinrude/Johnson box with the part number on it. Have I simply ordered the incorrect switch?

Back