Logo

Need Advice: Honda BF50 "Making Oil"

Ore

I'm pretty new to outboards, so I could use a little help on where I should be going with this problem. I've got a 2003 Honda BF50. Had it serviced in May, and have about 35-40 hrs on it since then. I regularly check the oil level before going out, and (now that I think about it), believe the level may have been getting higher each time out. It just wasn't enough of a difference for me to be sure. Well, today I went out and was getting the boat ready. Pulled the dipstick, and oil started coming out of the well -- obviously way over-full. There is definitely a smell of gas in the oil. The engine has been running good to date. No smoking, cutting out, problems starting, or anything like that.

1. I'm assuming the oil is now too thinned to safely use the engine. Is that correct?

2. Should I just change the oil, run it, and see if the problem repeats, or should I immediately take it to the mechanic?

3. What's likely the culprit - fuel pump, or something else?

I should note that my use to date has almost always been as follows:
- 1 mile no-wake zone
- Run 3-4 miles
- 1-2 miles no-wake zone
- Run 1-2 miles
- Troll/piddle around, etc.
- Head home same way
- Trailer the boat; flush at fast idle in barrel for 10 minutes

Thanks for the help!!

Change oil before running it again.Definitely check fuel pump diaphragm.-------------Check the carburetors for leakage ( sticking floats )----------------Always run fuel out of carburetors when taking boat out of the water.---------Disconnect fuel line when boat is sitting.Check vent on the fuel tank for blockage.

I agree with everything racerone said plus you should check your thermostat. It may be stuck open. If so, the motor is not getting to operating temperature and is not burning efficiently. The unburnt fuel finds its way around the rings into the oil.

Also, be sure not to use synthetic oil. Synthetic oil can also cause this problem if you are doing much idling, which you are obviously doing.

You can check your fuel pump without taking it apart (it does not have servicable parts). Just leave your pump connected to the fuel lines but unbolt it from the motor. Squeeze your fuel bulb until it gets hard and see if you see any leaks that would leak into the crankcase. You can also push on the piston and see if it leaks. If you see no fuel, it should be ok.

Mike

Back