Logo

fuel polishing - follow up to my recent post

bobct

Advanced Contributor
For companies who come onsite, do the tanks get "stirred" up as part of the process?

My clogging issue on the Stb side only happens after running in pretty heavy seas for at least 30 mins. In a moderate chop or smooth seas it'll be fine. I actually went about 80 hours this season before I found out I had this issue.

If they only suck out the fuel and filter it, I don't know if that will really solve my problem. Maybe I should just replace my small EZflo filter (238 micron) with a larger capacity one and run it next year.

I'm coming out on Sat so I have some time to figure this out.

Does anyone know of a polishing service in CT?

thanks,
Bob

I used a company called Fuel Solutions on my last boat. They are based on LI, not sure if they cover CT.

The tanks do get stirred up good; they create a "jacuzzi" type effect continuously sucking the fuel out of the tank through the filtering system and back around again and again for about an hour if recall. I had tried everything else before calling them (emptied tank, changed all filters/water separators numerous times), they definitely cured the problem and would use them again without question and would never waste time and money emptying the tanks again. They will tell you what size filters they are using, pretty sure they went 1 or 2 micron.

I know I had to change the carb filter once or twice shortly after their service (most likely residue left in gas lines, etc..), but after that the problem was completely resolved. They also offered to come back at no charge if I had any other problems (I didn't).

www.yourfuelsolutions.com

Last edited:
Unless accompanied with some independent lab test results, I'd be very skeptical of the cure in the bottle, especially with today's ethanol enhanced fuels....given the history of the topic, if there were a magic bottle, I'd own a distributu=ion franchise for it as would others.

On the "polishling", the high volume pump, filter , and return technique will work fine for cleaning the 'crud' out of the tank. Just be aware that diesel oil typically has a much longer storage life (given a good environment) that gasoline, especially today's blends. Kinda like a flat beer - not much you can do to 'restore' it to its original condition.

well I will say this, before I added the PRI-G, using my dipstick there was a layer of crud on the tank bottom, like goupy sticky muddy substance. After adding it and a month later that was gone. I did this while the boat was out of the water, so there was no tank movement sloshing to help get rid of it. I am pretty sure it was the PRI-G that got rid of that mucky layer.

I'm sure this will continue to be a hot topic in the future (as in the past), especially with the approval of E15. I live in California which is one of the few states that at least require the fuel pumps to have a sticker to indicate if Ethonal is in the mix, I believe I have not been using any E10/15 but the varnish that I see built up on the bottom of my carbs after only 3 months was impresive. I started using Star-Tron in the boat last month based on having several of our trucks not be able to pass the CA Smog test and after burning 1 tank treated with Star-Tron they past with flying colors, but we all have to be more carefull now with additives if your only fuel option is E10/15. I think the best bet is to use a fuel polishing service at some point. This link may be helpful for what is in various fuel additives.
http://www.fuel-testers.com/is_gas_additive_safe_with_e10_list.html

At least Pri-G and Star-Tron does not add additional alcohol to the fuel

I might have to get one of those test kits to see if we have alcoloh in our fuel here in Oceanside, The local gas stations around me say they to not but it is hard to trust those guys.

I also have been using Marvel Mystery Oil for years on all my gas suckers but mostly for topend lubrication and have not had any known issues with it but if the chemistry of our fuel changes who knows what we have to watch out for.

Mike

Back