Logo

long shaft to short shaft conversion 1984 25hp

Tward005

Hi there. I have a 1984 Johnson 25 HP longshaft and want to convert it to a short shaft. I'm trying to find kits but no luck so if any one knows a website to go to for one or knows exactly what parts I need and where I can find them any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Tyler

Re: long shaft to short shaft conversion

Does the motor have a 5" extention piece now ??? or is it original ( factory ) longshaft with the long exhaust housing??--------Availability depends or your geographic location.

Yes it does have the 5" extension piece. Does that mean that stock it came as a short shaft?

By the time you buy a kit, and change everything, You'd probably be better just buying another lower gear box and just remove the spacer and trim the water pipe.? I did that and worked out a lot cheaper and easier in the long run..Didnt have to change the gear leaver, the drive shaft or anything else as it all came with the replacment gearbox..No need to go looking for gear leavers or drive shafts then..just trim the water pipe and fit up and bolt back on....Just a sugestion mate.

Last edited:

Tward------------You can remove the 5" spacer.------------You may be able to cut 5" off the water tube.--------------If it has a long shift connecter ( expensive ) than you can find a short one ( cheap )--------The biggest expense would be a shorter driveshaft.------Not a very involved job at all.

By looking at it that's all it looked like I needed but it seemed too easy so I just wanted to make sure. I appreciate it. And gorto I will definitely look in to doing that before anyrhing.

I have a 25 hp evinrude short shaft motor, I want to convert to a long shaft. I am in Allentown Pa. I can ship you my complete lower end , and you can send me your complete lower end with the 5" hsg extension.. you can email me direct at [email protected]

Hey, doing a long to short shaft conversion. Using a short shaft gear case. Cut water tube, everything fits well. However, I removed the 5" drive shaft extension tube (inserts in the middle leg and inserts into water pump) really it's a drive shaft housing with O rings on each end. My question is is there a 5" shorter tube that needs to be installed or is one not needed? Thanks!

I have a 77 johnson 35hp short shaft that runs great and a matching 35hp long shaft with a shot power head. I need a long shaft and was wondering if it's easier to swap the power head or the leg. The long shaft does not have the extention kit.

Back