Logo

Crusader Model 1996 350 Identification... help please

Eric.C

Contributing Member
We have had the boat for about six months now, and I want to get a manual for the engines. The survey said the engines were 1996, but the serial numbers were "not observed". I looked around for any markings, and the only numbers I was able to find/read were 14015445 on both; which I found to be the block castings and indicates 1978-1987? After that, the port engine says "GM 16" and some other illegible stamps. The starboard engine says "GM 1P" in the same spot as port's "GM 16".

Those were really the only numbers I was able to find/read. Not looking in the right spot maybe? Suggestions?

Does the block casting mean the engines are 1987 or older, and the old man was full of sh**? Or does that just mean the castings are old but the engine ASSEMBLIES may be newer?

Thanks in advance!
Eric

Re: Crusader Model 350 Identification... help please

Here is a location of data figure... (((Click on diagram))

engine decal 01.jpg

Thank you for the reply, but that is a different engine altogether. Ours are carbed 7.4L 454 BBC Crusader Model 350's. They look exactly like this... well, not EXACTLY. I wish ours were this clean! But these are our engines:

ENGINE%202010%20time%20rh.jpg

We have the "Crusader" and the "Model 350" stickers on the valve covers, but I don't know what that pink-ish one is by the oil fill in this picture. Those aren't on ours. If the engine serial tags are supposed to look anything like in that diagram you posted, they must have been removed or heavily painted over. I don't see any tags at all on either engine. Any way to tell just by looks? I found some stamped numbers, but the only ones I could read very well were the engine block casting numbers, but I don't know if that helps.

On the bright side: just did a compression test today, and all 16 cylinders were 147-150 psi!! All but three holes were perfect 150. =D

Last edited:

There should be a substantial stainless plate at the top of the bell housing with this info.

Ah... Thank you Dave and Mark. Exactly what I was looking for. Under the heat exchanger bracket then. Must not have stuck my head down far enough. I will be back up at the boat Thursday. I will look some more then.

Thanks guys!!

If you are gonna visit that area in the bilge, you may wanna get the data from the gears' ID plates, too, for reference.

It's directly under the lower LH corner of the SN plate in the above attachment (if you look close you can see the black line/arrow pointing to it.

Here is location of ID plates,that red label you see in other photo is the firing order label.
IMG_4244-1.jpg

Thank you all! I will be up there Thursday, and I will see if I can find the ID tags.

Is there any place to buy new stickers for the valve covers? Mine have been painted 'around' a few times and look horrible. Plus, I am debating just buying new aluminum covers if I cannot repair mine satisfactorily. Two are a little bent and leaking from the corners.

Nope, no ID tags. I can see the timing cover on the flywheel, and it says "96350 Remove to Time". I found the trans tag. Got model numbers, serial numbers... Velvet drive with 1:1 ratio. The V drives, I see a tag on top with some numbers, but corrosion and paint are making it really hard to see.

As for the engines, if it supposed to be where you all say it should be, they have been removed. Any other suggestions and to how I can identify these?

I am up at the boat right. Should be here a few more hours.

This is just a shot in the dark............:confused:

96350 Remove to Time

Could the number be the serial number of the engine?? If it is, then the engine is a 1995 model...and the rest, "remove to time", would just indicate you remove that cover to "time".

The way to check it out is to see if the number is different on the other engine.

Then again the number may just be the cover part number..

As I said 'just a shot in the dark":eek::eek:

96350 is the timing hole cover part no. If you are extremely curious, the main bearning shells may have a date code!

If you are extremely curious, the main bearning shells may have a date code!

LOL, I would love to figure out what year these things are, but I am not *THAT* curious! :)

Damn! So with the serial numbers being out of the question, any guesses on a year range? Just to get me close to the best manual for them?

Pardon the iPhone's super-duper picture quality (and the rust... getting to it...), but the ID tag should be in this picture, correct?

photo.jpg

I found the Velvet Drive model and serial numbers right where you guys said they would be (under layers of paint). Just no engine info. :(

There are other age clues as well. Do you have Motorola (below s/n 77925) or Delco alternators? Also, who made the distributor, Prestolite (below s/n 83749) or Delco EST or ??? Lots easier than looking at bearing shells!

Delco ESTs, and both alternators I believe are aftermarket.

I'd be a little cautious here.

I'd suspect, since the SN plates were physically removed, that whatever is in there is rebuilt. Without know "what" went into the rebuild, I'd suggest a bit of caution in applying any manual value (ie initial timing value). My gut says your best bet is to create your own 'custom manual' and populate it with the info you need. Most of the bolt on parts have OEM www site with good tech data.

Another item of interest - Ask the surveyor how "1996" was determined - i'd love to know that answer.

That is exactly what I have been stuck doing from day one, hehe. I have essentially written an "Operator's Manual" for the entire boat, and it gets bigger every time I look into another corner. I have made a complete set of electrical schematics (mil-spec re-wire project this winter from Barcel/ThermaxCDT), I have written down zinc sizes, fluid weights, types, and capacities, windlass serial number just because we had the thing off, etc...

We were given manuals for the plotter/sonar, radar, v-drives, inverter/charger... even the CO detectors... but ZERO information on the powerplants. Something fishy here, and it is not the blood on the decks. May be rebuilt as you said. There *IS* RTV gooped all under the intake manifolds :cringe:.

At least the engines seem to be pretty healthy. They ran poorly when we first got the boat, but for what we paid for the thing, we knew it was going to be a project-type purchase. A little tune-up, and a few adjustments later, they seem to be running pretty well now. My next priority for the engines is new valve cover gaskets. That is what started this whole "what year are they" thing. They were just weeping down the block a little when we got it, but now I am replacing tampons every couple trips out.

Anybody have a link for some gaskets? Cork or rubber? They look rubber under all the RTV... :cringe: again...

Thanks all!

I've used VS 30055C for the valve gaskets. I think victor is the maker, not sure. Felpro is also good, they make several styles to fit; cork, rubber composite, double thickness cork with steel. I think I used Indian Head varnish last time on the valve cover side, only. Keeping the tin undistorted is most important. If you can find a Crusader Part # 22657; that is the owners manual for your engine.

I scanned my engine owner's manual a while back...if you have an email address that will accept "large" pdf files, I can email it. just send the address via the PM if you don't want the world to see it.

With the RTV, I'd suspect they were rebuilds. If I had to guess, probably the mark iv 330 hp version. That will give you the 'standard' pistons, the 'normal' inboard cam and valve train with the 'peanut port' cylinder heads. In essense, it was the standard block config delivered by GM to the marinizers. Anyhow, I've got a merc manual covering them and can email that too - may have to split it into a couple files for sizing. Several sections will be irrelevant (different hardware used by crusader) but with your background, you should be able to use them intelligently.

As you continue to add to your manual, I'mm sure by asking you can get most of the missing pieces

Thank you, Dave. Yeah, I will have to do a little "reshaping" of two of the covers for sure.

That would be great, Mark! My email is my screen name @cox.net and they allow some pretty large files. Not sure the exact limit, but should be good. You think 330HP even though they have the 350 tags on them?

I've seen three different "labels" put on the same GM engine configuration. I can tell you for a fact that my 86 "model 350s" are identical, internally - in the factory as delivered long blocks - to the mercrusier 330's which are the same as the merc BW 340s....marketing asi could never find where or how they measured the "rated values".

I'll dig around on the computer that has them and sen them out later tonight/tomorrow.

Eric, I just replaced my valve cover gaskets with QuickSilver pn #27-49121. They are Rubber, 7 hole with tabs. I had to cut the side tabs off but the end tabs were good. I got them at the Oceanside Harbor Marine Center. Another good place is Smoky's Auto Parts down here in Oceanside, I needed lifters and pushrods for my 1980? 350's (454) and they had them on the shelf. :)

Both valve covers were very hard to remove, one had a cork gasket and the other had a rubber gasket and the gaskets were RTV'ed on both sides ):
Here is a pic of one of my valve covers before removal if it provides a clue for what you may have.
Boat-port eng 005.jpg

mike

Thanks Mike&Les. Yeah, all eight of our VC gaskets have been RTV'ed (along with the intakes :-/), so mine may be a bitzch to get off also. You remember how much you paid for the gaskets? Thanks again!

Eric, I think it was between 20-30 bucks at the O'side Marine Center, I also got another set for around $18 at Smoky's but they are Red-Rubber 7 hole and no tabs that I might try on my other engine (Stbrd) when I get to it.
Also you might get some decals from http://www.marinegate.com/important_notices.html , they have a parts catalog for the Crusaders in Excel format which makes it easier to cross ref numbers and descriptions, search for 'decal' and you will get a lot of hits.

Here is a shot at my port eng getting the oil side closed up and I reused by valve cover decals which are actually aluminum stickers and I did a little touchup on the 'Model 350' lettering.

Boat port eng 10-31-2010 032.jpg

Bummer about you not finding your data plate, mine is right below the Hx and looks like this

Boat port eng 10-31-2010 009.jpg

I wonder if 'Marinegate' or Velvet Drive can determine the age of your transmission which might assist with your engine age or serial number data.

mike

Back