Logo

Losing Fuel Prime on Yamaha 1997 150hp

tperk100

Previous to owning this 1997 2 stroke Yamaha 150, I owned 4 other 2 strokes. My experience has always been that it was necessary to hand pump the primer bulb until it became so hard/stiff that you could not really pump it up any more.

On this engine the bulb never gets "hard." I pump it up until I feel only a very small amount of resistance and the engine starts fine. HOWEVER, after being on the water fishing for a couple of hours without running the engine, and then trying to re-start, sometimes I have to pump the bulb up again.

Maybe I am losing prime? Or is it something else? How do I troubleshoot this? Why does the bulb not became "hard" when I pump it?

Don't know if this has anything to do with it, but I keep the boat in my garage, and there is usually at least a little odor of gasoline present.

Thanks for any help.

Re: Losing Fuel Prime on Yamaha

You either have a leaking fuel pump diaphragm or a leaking float valve in a carburetor ( if equipped with carburetors )----------------Bulbs are nothing but a " manual fuel pump " and being able to pump a bit of fuel when a motor is running is NORMAL.

if it has the little fuel filter on the motor , check the bowl, they like to loosin up from vibration, buy a cheap in-line put it on the OUTSIDE of the motor take the other off and throw it in a wooded direction....

if you have water separator filter then open it and check is there any dirt inside, if you don`t have filter then open the valve and check inside is there
any particle stuck off in front of the valve. or exchange the valve with good one and check.

You either have a leaking fuel pump diaphragm or a leaking float valve in a carburetor ( if equipped with carburetors )----------------Bulbs are nothing but a " manual fuel pump " and being able to pump a bit of fuel when a motor is running is NORMAL.

This is the one you will want to check first, the leaking fuel pump diaphragm.

Back