Logo

Oil /fuel mixture on old motors. 1970 9.5hp

wassajet

Contributing Member
I have just purchased a 1970 year model 9.5 HP Evinrude Sportwin motor model # 9022a. & was going to run it on premixed fuel straight from bowser, but a friend told me i should mix my own fuel because my motor, being old, should be run on leaded petrol & the premixed stuff is unleaded. Could someone please tell me if this is correct & tell me the correct fuel & oil to use & what the ratio is for this motor.I also would like to know from what year model can you start using the premixed fuel ?All advice will be appreciated.:confused:

Re: Oil /fuel mixture on old motors.

No worry on the lead issue on these 2 strokes.------------------Run it at 50:1 using TCW 3 oil and a non alcohol fuel if you can find it.--------------------Those 9.5 motors are excellent fishing motors and weigh just 60 LBS , which is LIGHTER than most motors built today.

Yes, you can use what you class as "regular" unleaded in Australia. Like the UK and most of the world you use the Research Octane number (RON) octane rating system I believe, unlike North America where they use the Antiknock Index (AKI) or Road Octane Number (RdON) ratings

Your regular has a RON of 91, equivalent to AKI 87 in the US and Canada, however AKI 89, equivalent to RON 93, is prefererred if it is available ( our lowest grade in the UK is 95 RON)
The oil should be a 2 stroke outboard oil to TCW-3 specification.

Details at http://www.evinrude.com/en-US/Owners-Center/FAQ/OilAndFuel but remember it is an American site so octane ratings are AKI not RON

As said avoid fuel containing ethanol if you can. 10% ethanol, (E10) is pretty much normal I believe in the USA with talk now of E15 on the way.
These ethanol fuels can cause trouble from water absorption if stored and can attack hoses etc in the fuel system

Thanks guys for your quick responses.Your advice is always taken on board & appreciated.

Back