Logo

Ford PCM 2000 5.8 V8 ignition problems

simonfeaver

Hi, I have a year 2000 Ski Nautique with the above engine. I have had the boat 8 years without any problems whatsoever until now! I went to start it to take it off the water for winter storage and it wouldn't start. It turns over fine but there is no sign of a spark on the leads. Replaced the coil, but still nothing, just turns over with no spark. Anyone got any ideas?

Re: Ford PCM 5.8 V8 ignition problems

Now you get to troubleshoot the rest of the ignition system. where and how depends upon what you have for test equipment. Some items - good +12VDC at + on Coil, trigger signal on - side of coil, etc.

One known 'quickie' - if it has an analog tach - disconnect it. They have a known failure mode where it can keep the coil from firing. Easiest spot is usually at the coil (- side; just pick the correct [grey] wire).

Now you get to troubleshoot the rest of the ignition system. where and how depends upon what you have for test equipment. Some items - good +12VDC at + on Coil, trigger signal on - side of coil, etc.

One known 'quickie' - if it has an analog tach - disconnect it. They have a known failure mode where it can keep the coil from firing. Easiest spot is usually at the coil (- side; just pick the correct [grey] wire).

Hi Mark, your reply is much appreciated. I borrowed a friends volt meter and the positive was pulling 9v to the coil rather than 12, but assumed it may be because the battery was taking a bit of a hammering due to the continued testing. Do you mean disconnect the grey wire from the coil, as I definitely remember seeing a grey wire attached?

Yes, just make sure it is the one going to the tach. If it is easy to get to the back of the tach, that location may be preferred.

You may also have the coil that requires a ballast resistor and the resistor may be going bad.

Yes, just make sure it is the one going to the tach. If it is easy to get to the back of the tach, that location may be preferred.

You may also have the coil that requires a ballast resistor and the resistor may be going bad.

Hi again Mark, I really appreciate your help. Where is the ballast resistor situated if it has one? I have the boat out of the water now (had to row it onto the trailer, not an easy task!), but would like to find the problem before I put it into storage, so it's ready for the start of next season. We just got our first frost of the year this morning!

The ballast resistor should be between the ignition switch and the + terminal of the coil, usually closer to the coil (on the engine).

I really appreciate your help, many thanks once again. I will try all you have suggested next season as the boat has gone into storage now.

Back