Logo
Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415

Default Re: HELP with Espar heaters

Brian,

I have an ESpar heater on my boat. I do not know the model. I am interested in finding out due to the fact it is not working now. The boat was built in 2016. Newer boat and heater. I think it has only ran for one tank full of diesel fuel. Any help would be appreciated.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5598AE88-52F3-4A15-A464-7652A062245D.jpeg 
Views:	4 
Size:	62.5 KB 
ID:	17155   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6F782596-0833-43D1-8A1C-AE89A7C2333A.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	42.0 KB 
ID:	17156  
    Last edited by Mohawkclem; 02-25-2018 at 10:06 AM.

Hello! I recently bought a 43' boat in the PNW. It has an approximately eight year old D10W Hydronic heating system on it the previous owner installed. It seems to be in tip-top shape externally, and the owner paid good money to have it installed. He said it worked fine 9 months ago when he was last on the boat. However, it is no longer working. When the thermostat is turned on, the main unit just clicks ... then ... nothing. No heater, blower, fuel metering pump, etc. I checked to ensure both the fuel pump and the fuel metering pump were in good working order and they are. I've turned it on enough times now I'm pretty sure it is "locked up". It just clicks once every time. Do I need to get the Digimax controller to unlock it and read the faults? Any help would be most appreciated. I've plenty of pictures.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180326_114545.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	86.9 KB 
ID:	17446   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180326_114301.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	60.9 KB 
ID:	17447  
    Last edited by lewissct2; 04-11-2018 at 11:12 AM. Reason: Pics Uploaded

As a hvac tech get a manual and follow the sequence of operation. Are you getting power to the blower motor? Turn the thermostat up and put a large screwdriver on the heater and see if its making any noise when you put your ear on the handle of the screwdriver. Normally there is a pressure switch to prove it has air flow before advancing to the next sequence of operation. If the pressure switch is stuck closed at startup it may also stop the sequence disconnect the switch and then turn the thermostat up if it comes alive connect the switch and see if it fires up?
    It takes a nickle to go first class!
    If it aint broke dont fix it!!

I just looked at the manual check all connections good it will lock out with improper voltage. Under 10 volts or over 15 volts. You can get the 7 day timer it can pull the fault codes.

Thankskimcrwbr.

I have checked voltage the control board and am good to go there. I have amulti-max f1000 but it has no LCD display and I've really no idea what theblinking lights mean. The manual is WORTHLESS in describing what the sequencesshould mean. I’ve been told I can use the SD card in my computer to read thefaults, but I can’t find where in the software. The four windows are all forprogramming starts and stops, etc. Nowhere do I see a description of the mostrecent codes. I’ve actually now ordered a digi-max d1000 because it has ascreen and will hopefully be more instructive on unlocking and displayingfaults. The Espar parts of Michigan sales rep says the digi-max will work onthe hydronic systems. I’m sure it’s a simple issue like glow plug or something,but the diagnostic process has been a pain. Below is the startup sequence fromthe manual, I’m not getting past the control unit systems check. Any idea whatthe initial ‘click’ sound is –

Once switched on, the following sequence occurs:
    • Control unit does a systems check ( flame sensor,
    temperature, safety thermal sensor and various other
    control unit checks).
    • Water pump starts circulating coolant fluid.
    • Combustion air blower starts.
    • Glow pin begins to preheat 20-30 secs.
    • After about 20-30 seconds the Fuel Metering Pumpstarts
    delivering fuel and the combustion air blower ramps upgradually.
    • Once ignition takes place the flame sensor alertsthe
    control unit and the control unit shuts off the glowpin
    (ignition time: 1.5 - 2 minutes).
    Note: If the heater fails to start the first time itwill
    automatically attempt a second start. If
    unsuccessful the heater will shut down completely.
    Note: On initial start up the heater may requireseveral
    start attempts to self prime thefuel system.

Until the experts chime in maybe pull the thermal temp cutout and test it for proper operation its not passing the system tests start testing individual components. Just because the previous owner said it worked if you have not seen it work it means little.

Quote Originally Posted by kimcrwbr1 View Post
    As a hvac tech get a manual and follow the sequence of operation. Are you getting power to the blower motor? Turn the thermostat up and put a large screwdriver on the heater and see if its making any noise when you put your ear on the handle of the screwdriver. Normally there is a pressure switch to prove it has air flow before advancing to the next sequence of operation. If the pressure switch is stuck closed at startup it may also stop the sequence disconnect the switch and then turn the thermostat up if it comes alive connect the switch and see if it fires up?
    As an ex espar tech of twenty years, be advised hvac guys, these are very different than house furnaces . No pressure switches. It is all electronic resistance based tests by the ecu. It is almost impossible to diagnose this model without espar diagnostic tools.
    Brian Silk
    Avalon Bay Marine
    Vancouver BC
    Canada

Brian silk here. Previously running avalon bay marine in vancouver. Just wanted to let everyone know that ive been out of the business for a year now. Moved to 100 mile house B.C.. ive been absent on the forum but never made it official. I will not be monitering the forum and my old email will be gone very soon. If you need assistance call the tech help line at Espar canada, espar od michigan, or in vancouver call Roton industries. Be carefull of the advise you get here unless it is from someone with direct knowledge of espar. The reason I joined in the first place was because of the bad information given out. All the best to you. Sorry for leaving
    Brian Silk
    Avalon Bay Marine
    Vancouver BC
    Canada

Yea just like i thought they are similar to the new tankless hot water heaters. They do not want joe blow working on them and that is understandable. If you feel comfortable just take it apart and give it a complete service alot of times the issue will be obvious. Poor maintenance or installationis 90% the cause of unit failures. Make sure there is no restriction in combustion and exhaust air? Just give it a complete once over before you call a tech rep if necessary.

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415