Logo

Honda 1970 BF 75hp (7.5) Dead Cylinder

Ahhh, a C-22! Nice looking boat. I'm a sailor myself although I'll ride on anything that gets me on the water. I have a Santana 21 1971 vintage and a San Juan 23 from 1977. I also have a Lido 14 and two, count 'em, two Venture 17's. Anybody wanna buy a sailboat??!

I always go with the Helm Inc. I have not had good experience with the Clymer, Chilton and Seloc manuals. They try to cover too many years and models and so they don't do any one specific engine very well. The Helm is much more targeted to a specific line and power ratings so their coverage is much more concise and complete. I think you'll find that the experienced guys on this site will echo this and recommend the Helm as well.

I advocate getting the complete manual especially for inexperienced mechanics. Having the specs doesn't always get you where you're going as you experienced with your valve adjustment. You definitely won't miss the additional $30 if you you ever need to go back in the engine. It's nice to have this manual if you decide someday to take the power head off and clean the oil filter and sump for example.

Also, on a motor of this age, if it has been used a lot in salt water, I would want to go in, remove the extension case and make sure the water passage in the oil case has a good seal at both ends and the passage is not too badly eroded. You can easily repair this if it isn't too far gone and NOW is the time to refurb one of these old girls before even more parts become unavailable...like the coil. Having the full manual is a real plus when doing these tasks. That oil case of yours runs almost $700 as I recently experienced.

You have a good looking boat and a lovely crew. I was glad to be of some help and hope you have some fair winds and calm seas in your future.
jimmyd

Looking at the video, I don't see a stream of water coming out of the "pee" hole. You should have a constant volume at idle and increase with engine speed.

Back