Logo

To The moderator, Why is this site so SLOW to open and go to posts???

kghost

Silver Medal Contributor
It appears that not many post are being posted here anymore,

My suspision is the site is DOG SLOW in opening and going from post to post and making a post or replying.

I access this site from multiple computers and it takes FOREVER to open and is way to slow to spend any time trying to open a post or reply to one. The formatting is terrible..........

Maybe you should try a newer or faster/better application.

Just my 2 cents..............

Ayuh,... I agree,... I ain't been coming around much anymore either....
It's slower than Death....

what I notice when going to this site , my computer processor speed goes to max. this site is the only one that does this.
since this occurs , I get a delay on the forum page to respond to my commands.

only thing I notice is I am logged on one minute off the next? when I make a post I hit the back button to get back to the subjects, am I doing something wrong?

I too have been meaning to contact Andrew about this. Looks like I'm not the only member who is having an issue with this!
I frequent another boating forum that is also using the V-Bulletin format, and it is no where near as slow.

Edit: I just fired off an email to Andrew, and linked him to this page!

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback! The board is not slow from our location, in fact it is faster than the old board, but clearly it seems to be slow for certain users. I'm not sure why, but we will look into it this week.

I will post any findings back here. I certainly want and expect this new format to be as fast or faster than the old one.

Thanks!

For GL115 message above... are you checking the "remember me" box when you log in? You should and it should keep you logged in. You should be able to click the back button without any trouble. Let me know if that helps. Thanks.

Andrew, thanks for the reply, honestly most of the time I don't check it, but I will start.
also running vista but got rid of IE and switched to Mozilla Firefox years ago.

Last edited:
We have looked at the speed issue, and we are adding additional memory to our server that runs this board. We are adding it tonight (Thursday 10/21/2010) between 11:15 and 11:45 PM EST.

I am hoping we will see a speed increase from this change.

There are also some software changes that we should speed it up, we will do those next week.

Thanks, lets see how it responds tomorrow.

Have no problems from my location and notice no difference from IBoats forum.
Running XP, fully updated, clean out cache and the most with CCleaner regularly, FF deletes 'all' when shutting down.

We have looked at the speed issue, and we are adding additional memory to our server that runs this board. We are adding it tonight (Thursday 10/21/2010) between 11:15 and 11:45 PM EST.

Ayuh,... It's now 11-7-10, 11:am....

The site is Still S L O W E R t h a n D e a t h for me....
It also appears to be Just here at marinengines... other forums are fine...

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
tzun226l.jpg

On my end, it's still moving like a snail with a governor on it!

2004-06-03.gif

Last edited:
Ayuh,... Just to clarify,...

Coming to the home page,.. takes alittle Longer than ForEver.... My wheel mouse causes choppy scrolling...

Going into any of the forums take a Long time, but not quite forever...

Clicking on a thread is Slow, but almost tolerable..

Posting to a thread is Fast,... Very nice, 'n easy edits...
Also, this avatar was an easy task...

I'm runnin' XP pro on a clean machine, 'n cable connection,...

Warning for anyone standing near the MarineEngine.com server!

In about 5 minutes, I'm blasting about 250 psi of air through my Internet High Speed Cable.
If you are standing near the server, be prepared for a big dust cloud! :D
I'll let you guys know of any improvement!

It is the web site/ software or hardware not anyones computer.

I participate on many web sites and they all work normally EXCEPT this one.

If it is not fixed soon I am out of here.

I have no problems with the speed of this forum. Keep in mind if you're running Vista, then anything is a crapshoot, even Mircosoft admitted it, hence Windows 7. This is still a great forum, at least you get a response no matter what your problem, the i... forum may answer and may not. Marineengine forum is worth the wait.

I have no problem with the ME.com forum being a great forum..... it is!
It's the speed that is making it difficult for me to participate.
All other forums that I participate in, and most all web pages that I view, are reasonably fast!

Did any of you feel my blast of air? :)

We have made a couple more changes to the board that should speed it up by reducing the number of database lookups by caching certain data. It should help in general, but I'm not sure if it will help the extreme cases mentioned above. It's hard for us to test for how to solve those because all the pages load very fast for us.

We have also checked the site against various other large boating forums using some online benchmark tools such as http://www.iwebtool.com/speed_test , anyone can feel free to go to that site and enter our url as well as those of other sites and forums. Our site performs well against other boating forums according to them.

I would be very interested to know if the change we have just made makes a difference. Rick, Bondo, kghost, please post back here or email me directly.

Thanks for your help.

Best regards,
Andrew

We have made a couple more changes to the board that should speed it up by reducing the number of database lookups by caching certain data. It should help in general,

Ayuh,... I think you're onto something Andrew,....

It's slightly Quicker today...
the main page loaded quicker, the individual forums are still pretty slow... as are the individual threads...
Quicker, but still seem slow to load...

DITTO< DITO

still to slow for my liking...........30 seconds to load main page and sometimes longer for individual threads..........sucks plain and simple.........

I ma not having any trouble down here.

When I hit the button to open the main page, it takes 3.5 seconds to come up, then opening this forum takes just over a second.

Hitting the Reply button, it instantaneously brings up the new page.

Can't grumble at that.

Bruce. >:D

Rick, Bondo, and kghost (an anyone else finding this board to be slower than it should be),

Please try something for me as an experiment. In the lower left of this page there is a dropdown box that says "--eWA_v1". Click on the down arrow and select the "vB4 Default Style" option. This will strip the board down to display without our header and footer, search box, etc. It is the default board style before any changes where made. It will have some issues with sorting (it will display the archives above the new posts), but I am interested to see if it is faster for you. If it is, then the problem might be in the style and format changes we have made.

You can change back at any time and you should change back because otherwise you won't have links to get anywhere else on the site.

Here is an image of what you need to look for in the lower left to make the change:

default.jpg

Thanks for your help!

Best,
Andrew

Back