Logo

1987 NS40C 40hp One cylinder showing LOW compression

loyalkcfan

I have a 1987 NS40C. I have a service manual and recently re-built the carb, replaced the waterpump impeller and gaskets, replaced all fluids, spark plugs. The motor does run but I noticed that it was running on only one cylinder after I tried to run the motor at the lake. The load on the motor was to great and would not stay running while in the water, but would run all day out of the water. Im new to outboards and would like to know if there would be any other reason for having nearly no compression in one cylinder other than the rings. Would having a bad reed cause no compression if it were stuck or broken? Any thoughts would be appreciated. If I dont have to tear the motor down to replace the rings if something else is causing the problem Id prefer not to. I have spark and fuel going to the dead cylinder and the timing is set to factory specs just in case you need that info.+

Re: NS40C One cylinder showing LOW compression

Reed valves have nothing to do with compression in the cylinder--------------------------When compression "occurs " in the cylinder the reed valves are in fact open.

Re: NS40C One cylinder showing LOW compression

I found out what the problem actually was.... I had a blown head gasket. Already got one ordered :)

Back