Logo

kiekhaefer 500 merc

Hi all, I have a small collection of outboards from 1940s to 60s, only up to about 8hp, so this one's got two more cylinder than I'm used to.
Its an old kiekhaefer 500 merc, N0:1714206.
Its been sitting on the back of a boat for some years, so the paint work has seen better days.
It turns over, only has the pull start, no other electrics and has good compression.
It had no spark, but fixed that.
The thing is the paint work, to repaint the outboard, it would be better if the engine was removed.
So I need some advice, would this cause me more problems than its worth to remove the motor.
Any other info on this motor would be helpful.

The 40/ 44 cube Mercs were the best motors Carl K ever made! They have excellent power to weight ratio (especially the earlier ones), are stone reliable, and idle beautifully. That they are still raced competitively 60 YEARS later is a testimony to their brilliant initial design!

You won't regret adding one to your collection.

Jeff (owner of one)

Jeff, don't be telling him things like that.I think he should put it in a box, put my address on it and get rid of it.:D
Why can't I come across beauties like that......OUCH wife looking over my shoulder says I already have a beauty;). I don't think she's talking about my beautiful merc800:D:D
It would be worth the trouble to remove it and paint it,I did and it really looks well

Last edited:
It was more than I usually pay for a motor, about $160 USD, but It looks such a nice motor
I had to have it.
I think its a 1964 and have been offer the boat it came off for the same price, so cannot say no.
So a nice winter project.
Thank guys.

Last edited:
Back