Logo

Heat Exchangers

joel8080

Contributing Member
I just had my heat exchangers cleaned out, when I took them out of the boat I had a tuff time getting the drains & zinc holders out finally I did and no damage done, now I'm ready to put them back into the boat Question is it ok to use anti seize on the drains & zinc holders so I won't run into a problem next time? or is there something better to put on the threads.

Joel

The theory says you should put them in dry, to ensure good electrical contact between the zinc and the HX, via the brass plug.

I prefer PST - pipe sealant with teflon.

Only drawback to using anti-seize is you introduce another metal (or two) and run the risk of galvanic corrosion.

Hi Everyone,

I have done a search and seen this question asked several times by others but no one seems to answer it so I will ask again hopefully someone with knowledge will answer. I have a 1977 33 ft cris craft coho with twin chevy 350's in crusader style set up. I am about to install the thermostats but am confused. Does the tstat sit flush in the intake manifold or does in sit in the upper housing that has the nipple for water pump. This upper housing sits under the domed shaped cover with two ports going to barr exhaust manifolds The t-stat fits perfectly in both spots so Im not sure where to put it. Also should I use a 160 degree or 180 degree t-stat. I have a heat exchanger that holds antifreeze and a sea pump that uses seawater to cool antifreeze. All parts on boat are brand new.

The t-stat sits in the housing, not in the intake. Putting it in the intake will cut off the flow to the exhaust manifolds until the t-stat opens - not a pretty picture.

The parts lists says 160 deg F t-stat.

Back