Logo

BMW Sterndrive will not move up or down

Arrowbolt

Hello,

I recently bought a Fletcher Arrowbolt 21 with a BMW 3.5tr engine and sterndrive although i dont know if the sterndrive is a MK I or MK II
I believe the boat is from the mid 80's but not 100% sure.

The problem i have is that the leg will not move up or down. The hydraulic motor seems to move ok and pump oil to the leg fine as i recently filled the pump with new oil and i can see this comes out of the pipes on the leg if i loosen them slightly.

I think it could possibly be that the rams have seized due to the boat not being used for a couple of years but i can't see how to remove them.

Can anyone help with removal or has anybody else had this issue?

Thanks.

To remove the cylinders, unscrew the screw in the exhaust outlet of the drive.
That said it might be multiple reasons for the drive not moving.
It might be too low pressure out of the trim pump.
Another possibility is that the 'ball' in the cylinder housing has fallen into the drive. When you run the pump, the oil simply disappears into the drive.
(this was a safety feature in case you grounded at full speed. The oil-pressure would be released into the drive).

Thanks triman & haffiman37.

I'm pretty sure the pump is ok as its been striped and rebuilt. I managed to find a BMW spe******t as well here in the UK who thinks because of the time its been stood that the rams will most likely have got stuck.

Time to take the rams out i think using the info you gave.

Thanks again.:)

Hello Arrowbolt, I have the same problem with an identicalk leg which has been on the dry for 15years, may |I know how you tackled the problem or any tips you can offer please.

Back