Logo

the pee hole of my honda continually plugs up. How do I fix?

mawurst

moz-screenshot.png
The "pee hole" of my honda outboard continually plugs up. How do I fix?

What is it that plugs it up? Is it the same material (twigs, grass, rocks...other) all the time? One item that can plug up the pee passage is the water pump impeller when it starts to disintegrate. It isn't that is it? If you don't know what is causing the plugging then you probably aren't cleaning it right.

If you are simply using wire or trimmer string to push up into the nozzle and try a clear the tube, you are just pushing the debris back up out of the way temporarily and it will come back down the passage and clog the tip again.

You need to do two things:

First, check your water pump pickup screen at the bottom of the gear case and ensure that it is not broken or torn so that it is filtering debris as it should.

If that checks out, you then need to go under the hood and physically remove the rubber tube for the pee hole and try to identify what is in either the tube or the engine block where the tube attaches. If you find little hard pieces of rubber, then you need to service your water pump.

What I find a lot in the motors I work on is tiny little twigs or stems. The twigs like to get stuck in the engine just before entering the rubber tube and I have to dig to get them out. Another common thing is really small little pebbles that come down the tube and stick in the nozzle tip. It will all depend on where and how you use the motor. If you go into shallow water frequently, you can expect some clogging, especially if you are kicking up sand and mud.

Note how the rubber tube is routed before removing it. If you install it incorrectly, it will kink and always seem clogged. Hold the tube up to the light and make sure it is clear before reassembling. Same thing with the nozzle. If the rubber tube is stiff or kinked, replace it. They don't last forever.

Another thing I do before reassembly of the tube and nozzle is that I run the motor in a test tank and allow the water to gush out of the engine so that I know the block passage is absolutely clear. I can't think of anything else at the moment so try these things and good luck.

No mention of the size of the motor.---------------But the indicator is not really reliable in you case for whatever reason.----------------So install a temperature gauge, then no more looking at the tell tale.--------Or an overheat warning buzzer.--------------If you put a new impeller in every 3 years you also have no worry.

Take off Lower unit. Check water pump. Then take off Thermostat housings and t-stats.
Blow water thru the T-stat hole. Then up thru the water tube in the midsection of the engine.

Water should gush thru all areas. I had to do all that one time when mud got so jammed into the water pump, it continually stopped up the pee-hole. I changed the impeller and jetted water thru all the passages and no more problems.

Now I gotta stay out of 2 feet of water, in a 26' boat!!

In the 425 hours on my bf225 I have always had slight blockages. I have a probe that I clean it out with probably once every 4-5 hours of use. Even right after pump change and complete line flush, it still comes back. It always runs full stream for hours. I have cleaned out the hose once( no debris came out. and it made no difference to the frequency of stream reduction. It usually happens when the engine has sat overnight without flushing and then started up in the morning. I run in salt water, and the mechanic that changed the water pump said this is normal in salt water due to salt crystalization and small debris that make it through the pump. Just my two cents worth.

It's completely abnormal for the pee hole to clog up on the larger Hondas. I'm approaching 800 hours on my 225, operate in salt water and regularly get into sand and mud getting into my dock, yet I have never had this problem. I flush the engine for at least 15 minutes after every use, and change the impeller, or the whole water pump, every 200 hours. If you are getting regular blockages, then there are debris in your water jacket (or mud dappers have been busy in the discharge tube). You need to drop your lower unit, remove your t-stats and thoroughly flush out the cooling system.

I removed the tube and un-screwed the brass nipple out of the block.
Drilled out the fitting slightly larger than it was.
I've had fewer problems, and lots more water squirting

Back