Logo

Water Out Of Prop When Back-Flushing OMC Cobra Drive 1987 2.3

DavidW2009

Regular Contributor
1987 Cobra, 2.3L Ford.

Disconnected the water infeed hose (long one from transom) at the thermostat housing.
Clamped a garden hose connector to the infeed hose. Turned on the water to back-flush back to the outdrive water intake.

Water not only comes out the intake, but there is a small stream coming out the center of the prop.

Is this normal, or is there a leak somewhere in the lower unit tube seals, etc.?

BTW, this same thing happens when the muffs are turned on, engine not running, water is coming out the center of the prop.

Last edited:
That's normal, don't sweat it. And in reply to your other post. No, u can't use ww fluid to winterize. You can buy af for about $8/gallon for a 50/50 premix. Winterizing is no place to cut corners, as the result of a cracked block can cost u thousands.

Well, then there is a path for that water (by design) coming out the prop when I back flush. I have a crossection photo of a King Cobra, but not a standard Cobra, so I can't see how the water is getting from the infeed to the prop. I thought the water had to go thru the exhaust to come out the prop.

When I back-feed from the t-stat hose, it's not going thru the exhaust at all. So there must be a passage, by design, in the outdrive somewhere.

Thanks for the winterising feedback, kracker. I'll probably just drain at all three plugs and use air.

Back